1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Latest Craigslist Score! (Ampeg content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 29, 2015.

1. I have had a good run of luck lately finding good deals on CL. A little over a month ago I picked up a no-name 2x10 cabinet for $50 that ended up having Eminence Legend drivers in it. About a month before that I got a Harkte LH1000 in great shape for $250. Today I snagged an SLM era, US made Ampeg SVT HLF 410 cabinet for $180. It's not pretty. It's been gigged hard. Several holes in the tolex. Two of the drivers were replaced at some point with Peavey drivers, and the tweeter is not hooked up. It does sound very good though! I have plans to strip it down and recover it in Duratex.

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    From this:

tumblr_lw9vecCoWk1r7zaoqo1_400.

To this:

tumblr_lw9vjaObwi1r7zaoqo1_500.

?

3. Hmmm? Only one reply and I'm not even totally sure what it means!
    Starting to think maybe I didn't get a good deal after all. Oh well. It sounds great and it is gonna look great when I'm done with it.

4. I'd like to see it when you refinish it. Not a bad score.

5. I will post some before and after pics when I'm done. Just an FYI, if anyone is thinking about doing a cabinet with Duratex Parts Express has the pint and quart size with roller on sale for about $10 off!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, the tree that everyone thought was crap, but all it needed was love and it came to life.

tastybasslines likes this.
  7. That is what I figured. I just need to believe in the spirit of Ampeg and my ugly cabinet will turn in to a thing of beauty! :)

JimmyM likes this.
  8. So I finally got this thing finished! Turned out better than I expected. Here is a link to another thread I started about the coating I used to paint it:
    Ampeg 410 Makeover with Behr DeckOver | TalkBass.com

Turned out to be a bit of a mess internally. I knew that two of the speakers had been replaced but assumed whoever did it at least matched the impedance. Wrong! One original 4 ohm driver, two Peavey Scorpion 8 ohm drivers and one 32 ohm Eminence driver! I ended up keeping the two Peavey drivers and added two 8 ohm Eminence drivers from another cabinet. I wired it in series/parallel to keep it at 8 ohms. Sounds really good! Nice and deep and very loud, especially with my LH1000 running in bridge mode!

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I really like what you did with that cab! IMHO, not a really bad deal even with having to redo the drivers. You ended up with a really nice personalized cab that sounds great and looks even better. I like a few of the Ampeg cabs and that is one of them.

Dan K.

gjbassist likes this.
  10. pravus

pravus

Feb 5, 2013
    Broomfield, CO
    Very nice. I've been getting some good CL deals lately too, but mostly on amps, not cabs. I was just thinking today that I should buy some old beat up something and do what you did though. I wasn't sure what all would be involved, but I'm glad you figured it out. The color is great.