1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My latest distraction...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4Mal, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    5 months and 35 lbs of untrained pure golden, male mayhem... Adopted from a young guy that was way in over his head. At least he realized it ... Kona has Dogitude with a capital D!
    Been training and wearing him out the last 3 days. Wednesday he starts 3 days a week of doggie day care, professional training and socialization. He shows a lot of promise but can be hard headed. I expect he'll do fine. Hopefully the house will survive :)

Attached Files:

geeza, GregC and Darth Handsome like this.
  2. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Awww pup.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Good luck, and lots of exercise. I take my two dogs out at the same time with my bike. It was the only way to get my pittie enough running when she was younger. I get some strange looks from people incars as we go through town, but it's fun.

4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Congrats on the new dog. Nice looking too. Good training of the dog is a lot of work but the return is well worth the effort. Hope you guys get to be best friends.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Beautiful dog! Congrats! Remember what Caesar Milan says, "calm and assertive". :)

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    And don't forget TSSST!

;)

7. Excellent advice!!

It HAS to be. His dog drives a boat!

Stewie26 likes this.
  8. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Stewie26 likes this.
  9. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Puppies and small children. Two reasons why you can no longer have nice stuff in your home!

10. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I blame both on the women-folk.

11. Stewie26

I have done a lot of dog training and there is no reason to have your nice stuff chewed up. First give the pup a place in the house that he can consider his very own. Like a small bed in the corner of a room. Fill it with some small stuffed animals and a few old tennis balls. Use those toys while playing with him and encourage him to chew on them. This can be done with a Golden by playing fetch with the toys. He will learn that these are his possessions. At the end of the day pick up toys he has dragged out and scattered around house and put back in his bed. Pups need to chew and do get bored so it is important they have an outlet to do so. Never use leather chews or toys as he will associate the smell of leather with your good leather stuff. Guitar straps, shoes, etc.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Wow that was fast! His training is almost complete! My wife and I are almost trained in doing what he wants :)

Only kidding

machine gewehr likes this.
  13. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Yeah, my comment was more tongue-in-cheek than serious

14. Stewie26

Sorry. I admit that I took it as serious as I have seen the bad house damage that an untrained dog can do. Anyway, thanks for posting as your post allowed me to put my 2 cents in on how to train your dog not to chew up your stuff. I hope it might help somebody.