My latest Ebay score

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, May 14, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As a lot of you know, I am very unhappy with the sound of my Soundgear 6 string. It has a great, stable neck and a wenge fingerboard, as well as a soft maple body, so there is potential there.

So, I want to defret it, put an Aggie preamp in it and whatever else that I can do to improve the tone, without going overboard on the $$$. I need a fretless 6 anyway, and this will be the cheapest way to get one.:)

I have always been a fan of the Kahler bridge, but when they were in production, they were too expensive for such a project, and since they ceased production they have been impossible to find.

But, I found one on Ebay, and got it for under $40!!! So, this weekend, I am changing out the bridge on the Ibanez. If I can't do it myself, I'll take it to a local shop and pay them to put it on and set up the instrument. I've been quoted $35 for the installation and a complete setup.:cool: And what is really cool, the bridge is new. It has never been installed on a bass.

Here is a pic.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!! I wanted to put that bridge on my Gecko but I didn't know Kahler stopped making bass bridges.

Good Luck. Hope the bass turns out OK. :)
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i was just showing that to someone else the other day...great bridge, man
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Psst....Nino, word has is that Warmoth had Khaler make a run of bridges, just for them. E-mail them. Bad news: about $90 Right now, Chrome, Black (or a blackish Chrome) and Gold in the works.

Just so you know.

Personally, I'm debating between a Khaler and an ABM bridge for my bass making project that's upcoming.
  5. embellisher

How do you think I found out about it?:D
  6. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Dang embellisher, you have connections! ;)
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Not to change the subject, but how do these compare to say a Leo Quan Badass II? I'm just not familiar with them.
  8. embellisher

I'll be able to give you a better evaluation once I get it installed, but to start with the Kahler is more adjustable than the Badass II. But it is much more of a pain in the @ss to adjust.

I have a 4 string with a Badass II, and they are good bridges for the price.

The only bridge I like better than the Kahler is an ABM, but I can't afford $200+ just for the bridge.
  9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm sorry, I dont think that I follow you.
    So, you can adjust the action a little more precise? I was led to beleive that the Quan was one of the best. I'm so confused :confused:
    You say that they dont make these Kahler anymore?
  10. embellisher

The Badass II lets you adjust string height and intonation. Same as the standard stamped steel bridge, but the extra mass gives you more sustain, and some feel that it improves the tone.

The Kahler has adjustable string spacing, drop in string loading(which is important, I like BIG B strings) and once you get the spacing and intonation adjusted, you can lock it down where it will not budge.

The Kahler has been out of production for several years, although Brendan was saying that he heard a rumour that you can get one from Warmoth. Kahler used to make bridges, tremolos and locking nuts. Now they just manufacture golf club shafts.:rolleyes:
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, it's SO bitchen when you find something you've been jonesing for at a really great price. I just love that feeling. Reminds me of when I got the Eden cover for my D-410XLT for $15 at a GC blowout. Congrats, Jeff, hope it works beetchen for you.
  12. I have one of those Kahler bridges in black on my Modulus Q6 and it rules! It's a bit of a struggle to adjust the side-to-side positioning of the saddles, but after that, it makes up for it. :bassist:
  13. I know that warmoth has to route out a space in the body for the kahler so won't that be the case for your soundgear?:confused:

$35 for an install of a routed bridge and a setup is one heck of a deal then.

As always, I could be wrong.
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, one of Xush's FBBs has that bridge. It's his fretless 5, actually, and I'm pretty sure the body's routed to the bridge kinda sits down into the body. Either way, that's a nice score, Jeff!

Edit: Here's a link to Warmoth's Bass Bridges. The Kahlers are available in chrome, black, or gold, but only in 5 and 6 string. That bridge would cost you another $80 from Warmoth! Great deal!
  15. You beat me to it, Nick. At the place I go to here in NYC, it's $65 for a setup, plus you have to buy a new set of strings from the guy ($25 at least) plus tax on the whole deal. That's almost $100! :eek:

Glad you found what you were looking for, Jeff. :cool:

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jeff -

I've got two of those bridges, best ever made IMO! Still heartbroken when they stopped production, but now that I'm aware of Warmoth having some, I may be trying to score a black 5 soon for my Zon! :D