Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My latest effort x 2

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skelf, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    I have just completed these 2 basses any coments would be welcome.
    The four string has a black walnut core with lacwood facings.The neck is a 5 piece maple/wenge laminate with 2 carbon fibre rods and a dual action truss rod and an ebony board. The tuners are gotoh GB7s the bridge ABM roller 3-D. The pick up is ACG4 made for me by Aaron Armstrong this is connected to a micro swich which switchs the humbucker from series/single/parallel. This is then connected to a John East pre-amp. The bottom ring of the dual concentric knob is a bass boost the top treble cut and boost with a pull bright. The finish is AC lacquer.

The 5 string. Mahogany core with goncalo alves facings. The neck is maple/mahogany laminate withan aycrlic impregnated board from Larry Davies at gallery hardwoods. It has 2 CF rods and a dual action truss rod.Hipshot ultralites and a hipshot Type A bridge. The pickups are ACG again made by Aaron. Connected to a 4way rotary switch giving the following bridge,pu in series,pu in parallel. neck. Again John East pre-amp. AC lacquer finish

2. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    The pics

3. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    More pics

4. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I love the look of the Lacewood, nice job.;)

5. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    The back this time.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That lacewood sure got some figure...

Nice! :cool:

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    They BOTH look great but I REALLY like that lacewood 4 string! Very cool design!!

Jon

8. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.
    Alan

9. i personally like the 5 string fretless better. It reminds me of a The Bass Comapny as far as the body style goes. And I love how the wood looks.

10. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    They both look fantastic. I love Goncalo Alves. Never thought I'd see it with a finish on it.. Be proud!

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    They'r great! i would have liked to have seen more control knpbs though. That's just a pet peave of mine though. Once again, great job.

12. Skelf

Skelf Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I thank you all again for taking the time to post. My favourite of the two is the five string I normally play a six and find the 4 now does not feel right anymore.The one knob thats missing I had to machine it out to fit the rotary switch I forgot the pictures were taken with it missing.If however you feel that more controls are needed I could also add 2 micro swithes to change the humbuckers for serial/single parallel. You could also have a swept mid on a dual pot for each pick up with the bass/treble being global. Would that be enough.

13. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    They both look real nice, I especially dig the 5-string. Looks great from both sides!

14. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    oh yeah def! It's just based on personal experience. i find that basses with more knobs generally look better as well as function better in terms of versitility. I'm not beefin' on your work though. They really are nice basses.