1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My latest GAS, the former Duck Dunn Sig.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CnB77, Jul 28, 2012.

1. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    http://www.lakland.com/44-64-custom.htm

Jeesh these are awesome looking. Definitely can't afford one. I feel like I should get a Peavey Fury, repaint it and do a matching headstock, get some inlay stickers on there...

Is there any way to fake binding? Gotta get a pickup cover too...

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Get the Skyline version. They are far less expensive (about 1/3 the cost), and are just as good in most respects. I have a Skyline Bob Glaub, and the build quality on it is top notch. They have "vintage" frets (fairly thin wire), and the fretwork on these is out of this world! You flat can't go wrong with a Skyline, and it wouldn't cost a lot more than doing all that to a Fury.

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    The skyline ones look great, but even used they seem to go for about $800.

Think pessimistically $200 for a fury, + a bit for paint/sandpaper (I won't be doing nitro so it doesn't run much), + inlay stickers, + pinstripe tape, and finally a pickup cover if I really want, I doubt I'd be in it for more than $300.

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I didn't realize you were going to do the work yourself. I mostly see Furys going for $250ish, add a good paint job, and you're up around $1,000... I see where you're coming from, though. You can make a Fury look something like a Duck Dunn, but you won't get the sound, feel, build quality, or resale value from it. Really, $800 isn't all that much, it's worth saving for the real deal. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Oh, yeah, I wouldn't have a luthier or someone do this, then I'd be better off getting the Lakland or commissioning a build. Hm. If I clear some gear out I should have no problem getting it, the problem is just getting the gear to sell lol. We'll see.

6. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I love my 44-64C

If you can do to wait- try this little savings plan: Anytime you come across a $5 bill, put it in an envelope. You'd be surprised how fast that can add up, even if you use a debit card a lot of the time.

7. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I think I'll do that, after a while I'll be able to treat myself

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I just picked up a Skyline 44-64 Custom at the Summer NAMM Show. I played a number of the basses in the booth, and this was my favorite. I thought it was a USA model at first, even up through when I said that I wanted to buy it. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a Skyline. :D

I played this bass at band practice for the first time this past week, and it just killed! These are amazing basses, and the Skylines are a tremendous bang for the buck. I'd save up and get the Skyline, for sure. :cool:

9. Save up for a real Duck Skyline. You won't regret it.

10. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Well, looks like that's the plan now! Disappointing that the Duck version only comes in CAR as a Skyline. Apparently there was a limited run of silver.

11. And green.

12. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Really? I only saw red under Skyline on the website, but I do like the look of the green

13. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I'm dig'n my US DD:

Attached Files:

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have a Duck Dunn in CAR and it looks great in person, but you can find other colors in the Skyline version from special runs. Last time I looked Bass Central had a green one or two. Premier Bass has a silverish colored one. I have played that one and it is really a great playing/sounding bass. You can check them all out on line, just go to their web sites.

15. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Sweet lookin' bass!
    Thanks for the tip. Is there any rhyme or reason to when they do special runs? Since I'm gonna need to save I bet the ones already out will be all snatched up

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    What he said x 1000.

save up the $800 or so...WELL worth it...

17. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    wow! to even fool Tom it HAS to be good!

Did you get the silver or teal Tom???

18. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    yup...CAR, inca silver and teal.

who knows? next year there may be another color...the Brothers P (Lakland owners) seem to like to mix it up...

19. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    VERY nice....

20. BluesDawg

BluesDawg Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I just checked Bass Central. Those teal Skyline Ducks are sweet!