Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My latest......Instrument

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GregBreshears, Nov 6, 2004.

1. GregBreshears

GregBreshears Commercial User

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Owner: Greg Breshears Guitarworks
    My sister had been telling me she wanted me to make her a guitar....and she doesn't play but yet she still wanted one to to have around. So last night at my shop I was at a standstill on my current projects, so I made her a guitar. It was kinda a rush job because my grandma will be going to visit her next week and I wanted her to have it as soon as possible. The sanding is extremely bad, but oh well she's just my sis :D I'll get it back later and sand it and refinish it.....and set it up. It'll also need a taller saddle and I need to make the string slots lower in the nut....but for now it is really fun to strum, and kinda cute, I almost decided to keep it for my self.

[​IMG]

By the way it has a 6" scale, walnut body, ash neck, ebony fingerboard, Ebony nut, and ebony saddle. It is string through body, 3 string, and Fretless. The tuners are some extra sperzel locking guitar tuners I had collecting dust.

Greg

2. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Looks pretty cool.

Tony Levin would be proud. *sniff*

3. Gotta hand it to you Greg, that is one fun and creative project. I like it! Makes me think.

When I saw the Sperzels I freaked! But when you said they were g****r tuners...well, that's OK.

Finally an instrument where even the most sausage fingered of us can reach like Stanley Clarke!

Would that be called a "CT Bass" because it's nowhere near as long as a Carl Thompson?

We need Pilot to whip up a chart on the string tensions for the 6" scale. I just get this idea that it's the wave of the future.

Thanx Greg :D

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I definitely wouldn't want to try to play that in tune. I wouldn't have a chance!

6. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    How does it sound? Does it actually play, or is it more of an ornament/toy? That is VERY cool! :cool: Sorta reminds me of the 'ukuleles I've built.

7. GregBreshears

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    Thanks everyone :D . It actually does kinda sound like a ukulele, but as far as playable ..... it's more of a toy. My sis doesn't play so I didn't take the time to make a proper saddle, it actually needs to be about 1/32 taller and the nut slots need to be about 1/32 lower, but it's just for show. It's a LITTLE better than a toy, I actually used threaded inserts on the neck, they are the size I use for Control cavity covers. I was actually struming away on it for a while, it's actually pretty fun. I think next I'm going to make a 12.5" scale 4 string but it's going to be fretted, as I have a 25" scale fretting template that I can use by starting at the 12th fret.

Greg

edit: I'm sorry there will be no piezo in this one as it has been sent to my sister already. The next one will have a pickup of some variety.

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Where are you getting the threaded inserts? I want to start using them......t

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  10. GregBreshears

Jun 6, 2002
    Independence, MO
    I bought the threaded inserts from a company called RTL Fasteners it's been awhile, but I'm sure they still have them.

11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The first number is the thread size. These don't correspond to any inch measurement, but they are standard numbers for all inch hardware. Higher numbers are thicker. The second number is threads per inch.

I would recommend going to a hardware store to see for yourself what a #8 screw actually looks like, since you seem to lack some experience in the area. That and take the advice of people here, such as when Hambone in a thread a few months ago told exactly what size he uses on all his necks.

13. The first time I did inserts, I went with ¼-20 (¼" dia.-20 threads/inch). It was overkill by quite a bit. Then I dropped down to 10-24 (#10 is the largest numbered screw size - 24 threads per inch) and it was perfect. The inserts are just the right size to comfortably fit between TR channel and the sides of the neck and they aren't too deep.

I've been using the EZ-Lok inserts. I really like the hexdrive version. If you are building a neck and want to use inserts but don't have access - use 10-24 T-nuts installed from the top and sandwich them between the neck wood and the fretboard. This is even stronger than threading from the bottom. I'll be using the EZ-Lok hexdrive flanged on my future necks in just this manner.