Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Latest Project

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Aug 20, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    :help: :confused:
    Okay, I've got a bass that started out a Fender Mark Hoppus sig (my relatives bought it for me without consulting me first, and the salesman told them it was the hottest bass on the market, so they bough it), well I stripped it down to where it was just a blue piece of wood and rebuilt it using warmoth parts and a Seymour Duncan SMB-4DS MM style humbucker and preamp. Due to the original pickup route location I was forced to put the pickup in the next position. This made the bass sound like the most aggressive P-Bass in history. Its cool, its just not versatile. I could have put it in the bridge position originally but did not have a proper routing template (had to make one on the spot). I've since attained a proper routing template and would like to add another SMB-4 MM style humbucker in the bridge position, hopefully ending up with something that would be as if a Jazz bass had sex with a Bongo and I received their child (Jazz body, jazz neck, bongo style electronics).

My question is this (sorry for the long explanation): Can I simply add another humbucker onto the existing tone circuit/preamp and power supply, or will I need to get another power supply, tone circuit/preamp or both? I would very much like to be able to hook all of this up onto the one preamp and power supply, for the simple fact that I'm running out of electronics space on the body of the bass.

Let me know what you think and whether or not this would be a possible venture. Any advice would also be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :D

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, it can be done. Your single pickup currently feeds directly into the preamp right now. You could add another pickup, add a blend knob for balancing hte two signals and have the output from that feed the preamp.

Now, I don't know how much space you have in your control cavity right now to add other pots etc.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    hmmmmm..... that might be a bit of an issue now that you mention it. Its basically setup like a jazz bass (i.e. three knobs and an input jack). The volume knob is a push pull that also engages/disengages the slap switch. Then there's a control for the mids and a stacked control for bass and treble. I wonder, would it be possible to swap out the single mid control for a stacked pot that would control the mids and the blend control?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Is it possible? Technically, yes, in that it's not impossible.
    But first you'd have to find such a pot, and I don't know of anyone who makes a combined blend / eq pot.

5. you're probably best off using stacked volume controls.

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I had thought about that, but wasn't sure how it would work out considering the current volume control is a push-pull type for the slap switch. Is there such a thing as a stacked/push-pull type pot?

EDIT: You know, the more questions I ask, the more questions keep coming up! :crying:

The general consensus is that in theory it could be done, but due to some space limitations it might not be possible.....? To be honest I fully expected such a thing to occur. I'll likely research it a bit more, but it might not happen afterall. Oh well, the money I save can go towards a modulus.