1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Latest Purchase!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 11, 2007.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Very Interesting. Thanks!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Played her all last night and could not put her down. Now I've only had a few hours sleep because I had to get up wwwway before the sun came up to catch a flight. Damn Brubaker kept me up way past my bed time! :crying: ;)

3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Only two things can keep me up past my bedtime.

1. My Wife ;)

2. My Roscoe :bassist:

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Looks great! I'd love to own a Brubaker. Brad's latest 6'er is just amazing... Kevin sure knows what he's doing.

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'm finicky about SC shapes but I really like it. Is the body ash? It's about too sweet - I think I may have gained a pound while gazing. I got the impression that you rather like how it plays & sounds. :D I hear you on the sleep deprivation. I have some catching up to do myself...

Ken

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fred, you idiot. How dare you post a beautiful bass like this up and not include deets on what's in it? I may just have to request the TB "punishment crew" be sent to your house on this one.

So, what's in it... woods, elex, etc... or I make the call... ;) :D :D

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Vic, just say the word. I got a sack full of doorknobs in my glovebox...you know....for emergencies.

8. Quadzilla

Uh-oh, the Italian Stallions (Vic and Nick) are coming to "breaka my knee caps"!!!! :smug: :D

Bart NTMB-918F 3 band Pre (which coil switching, mid-shift and active/passive switching

Bart BC4CBC Pickups

Hipshot Ultra-Light tuners
    Hipshot Bridge

All sprinkled with LOTS of mojo!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That bass has been in that store at least three or four years that I know of! I played that bass a few times and even considered getting it but never did. I've seen the price on that bass change so many times I just began to ignore it! I glad it finally found a new home! :cool:

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You're NOT DONE! I'm getting close to the PHONE! :D

Looks like a great spalted maple top, but what's the body wood? Fingerboard some kind of rosewood?

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Sweet... top shelf... I, on the other hand, just use a dirty burlap bag of rocks that smells of cow dung... adds a nice insult to the injury... ;) :D :D

Oh, yeah, and I usually kick the cat for good measure as well... ;) :D

12. Quadzilla

Well she's fairly lightweight so I'm guessing alder as a body wood (isn't alder lighter than ash, or is it vice, versa)? Also not 100% sure of the board but it's either rosewood or pau (sometimes the two look so much alike). I'm going to take it to Kevin (Brubaker) to validate everything. His shop is 10 min from my house ;)

13. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    if it's that light, it may be pawlonia. He used that a lot to keep the weight down. Very resonant wood. Also, that is probably cocobola board. Just guessing from experience back then.

What year is it? Pre fire? Is that a K4B?That was before his new naming system. I came up with the K4 as in Kevin's 4th body style.

14. Quadzilla

Yes it"s a pre-fire model. It's a K4B, built in 2002.

15. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    HA. Leave it to me and Vic to derail an otherwise perfectly good thread.

Anyway, I live how the bass is carved on the top. Very nice!! Congrats.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

IIRC they sent it back to Kevin and he refurbished it. He just did the same for a KXB-6 in the Towson, MD GC and it sold immediately after. Someone had emailed me about the Towson bass, I stopped by the store and was amazed at what they'd done to it. I didn't realize you could put that much relief in a neck:meh:

Anyway, Kevin reburbed it and it was sweet again. And sold. Funny how that works.
    :D

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I just saw it on the used GC website... if you got it at that price you got a heck of a deal.
    :hyper:

18. Quadzilla

Hi Brad,

What was MSRP and street price on this puppy new (any clue)?

Thanks man!

19. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    I've seen some shopwear that was disgraceful. No wonder it didn't sell.

In case you're interested, Quad, this was the first single cutaway Brubaker K4. He pretty much just cut off the other horn. After this he refined the design.

The fretmarkers were to leave the area natural. The rest were painted black. This was pawlonia and weighed next to nothing and with high output hums, this guitar was a screamer.

B4c.gif

B4a.gif
    b4bullet2.gif

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Street price back then was probably just shy of $3k IIRC.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021