1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My latest trip to CG...maybe I'm wierd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 11, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    but I played a few basses, just to see what I like.
    Started off with an Ibanez 506
    Then played a Warwick Corvette 5 with 2 HH pups in it.
    Then played a used MTD 535 fretless (#133)
    Then played a Stingray 5 HH
    then played a Warwick Thumb 5 fretted.

I think out of all of these (fretted) the SR 506 felt and sounded the best.
    out of the fretless, the MTD was hands down the most serious piece of wood I've ever played
    3rd place was the Thumb 5.

I wasn't impressed at all with the 'Ray 5 . Not sure if the design has changed or if I played onw with certain options...but for me the 5 string neck was WAY too narrow. It was almost the same as the one on my 'Ray 4!
    I definately prefer my G&L L2500 over the 'Ray 5. I used to want to trade, but not any more...no way.

With the Corvette, I had a similar issue, the neck was too narrow, but it sounded great!

The SR 506, had a fantastic feel, and the Barts are awesome. Very solid, and a very good value.

The Thumb was very compact and HEAVY for such a small body, but extremely comfortable.

This was the 3rd time I played that MTD...too bad it won't fit under my jacket.

I used a GK 700RB-II and a 1001RB-II
    Both are fantastic amps. Very LOUD. Seems that through a single GK 8x10...man, tear the house down!!!
    I would take either amp in a heartbeat.

2. Hmmm.... I had an SR500 that I was really impressed with. I eventually replaced it with a Pedulla Thunderbass - which is similar to the MTD in terms of cost and quality. My general impression is that the Pedulla is a better bass and sounds/plays better than the SR500/505/506. But you have to take a huge step up in terms of cost to find a better bass. For the price range, the SR500 series is tough to beat if you are looking for something in the "under $650" price range that has a slim profile and a modern, active sound.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    MTD's are ferocious basses! What did they want for it? I hope you can get it if want it.

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    An MTD 535 at GC... a shame for many reasons. Someone needs to rescue it!

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yes, the SR500 series is irrefutably fantastic.

The 505 is my favorite bass to this day, after playing Carvins, MTDs, Warwicks, and others.

6. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    If it was fretted I'd be all over it! I bet they have only about $1800 or so into it! Some one should offer them like $1800-1900 and get a steal! They hate for things to sit to long ("shrink" issue with them) and will normally devalue something just to move it along!

7. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm missing the you're weird part. Is it because you didn't like the MMs?

8. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

I suppose...

I don't like MM's either. Can't really get into them no matter what I do. But there is a blue OLP floating around my house, i've never touched it, i think it was a friends...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Definitely a rescue bass.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    it's tagged at $2600. Here is the link to it in the GC "Used Gear" section
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104518744

It's been there for a while. I first saw it in late '07. It needs a setup; action is a bit high and the neck is slightly bowed. Nothing major, though. The original handwriting on the back of the headstock is almost gone. I can only make out the 535 and #133 on it, not much else

I bet if someone made them a deal dor $1800, it'll be theirs. That bass DEFINATELY needs rescuing. I can't afford it. I'll just miss playing it at the store when it goes.

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I guess what I mean is, that the bass that I favored most is (other than the MTD) is the Ibanez, which cost about 1/2 of the other basses I played.

The thing about the 'Ray5 is that I always wanted one. I got my G&L L2500 as a great deal, but felt that I'd want the 'Ray more. After years with the G&L, I can't believe that I ever thought about trading it up.
    I have a 'Ray4 and I love it. I just felt that the 5 left me with the feeling that it has much to be desired.