Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My LDS 2x15 is finished!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Apr 22, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Picked her up on Tuesday. Wheeled her in to practice, and the singer goes " great, just what you need, more speakers". My reply, "that's why they make volume knobs!" So I wheel it next to my old rig. Not wanting to run it full tilt right off the bat, I plug into my old rig, and send a line out to the new one so the speakers get a chance to break in. When the singer says are you playing through both, I tell him I need to break the new speakers in. A good 2 hour rehearsal at a very comfortable volume, he again brings up that's it's overkill to be playing through all that. I gave up on explaining to him what I was doing. So after rehearsal was finished, I decided to really fire her up to see what she can do. OMG!! :eek: Hitting the open B, I thought the walls were going to implode! The guitar player comes in from outside and says "wow"! My rig of doom is complete, and I'm in love!!!! If you've never played through a 2x15, you have to try it once!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Awesome! What are you driving it with? And share some photos when you get a chance!

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Yeah, I was at rehearsal saying to myself," I should've brought my camera" Because I know pictures are going to requested! :p I guess I should've said "almost complete". Right now I have just a cheap 1200 watt power amp by Ross systems. I'm trying to decide from the following: Crest CA6, Crest CA9, Stewart 1.6, or a QSC PLX1602.
    Might as well post this here before starting a new thread. My old rig had a clip light for the initial gain settings. The BBE BmaxT doesn't have such a light. How do you know where to set it? I just played safe and put it where I usually had my SWR knob at.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I do find it very helpful to have some means of metering all of your gainstages, but if you don't have anything available with regard to the intial gain stage, then I suggest you use the best tool(s) in your inventory - your ears - to determine the right level. Set your final gain stage down fairly low, and then try various settings on your intial gain stage while playing the bass as hard as you do during a live gig. At some point, you should be able to hear the intial gain stage overloading. Obviously, you want to stay below that point (unless you are using a tube preamp and want to get a tube overdrive sound going - I'm not sure if you can do that on your BMax-T, but on my Walkabout, this works great), and now you have some general idea of how high to go. Now, you should still spend some time playing with your initial and final gain stages to get a feel for which settings sound best (and oftentimes - but not always - there will be a sonic difference). Hopefully, your power amp will have some means of monitoring input levels. I know that Crest, Stewart and QSC all do. Here' is where you can play around with the settings and keep an eye to the amp's meters. Use your ears, at this point. With some preamps (like my Navigator), the pre and post gain settings don't make a huge difference, so long as the final signal output is about the same level. But others, like my Aguilar DB 659 and 680, and Alembic F-1X (and most "tube", not "toob" preamps) will sound quite different at a high initial gain, low final gain setting, as compared to a low intial gain, high final gain setting. Typically, on a tube preamp, the higher the initial gain setting, the more grit/dirt/overdrive, and if you keep it lower (and use final gain for more volume) you will get a more clean sound.

That said, I do not know how the BBE preamp is set up, but play around and see what sounds best to you.

That was a little longer than I had planned... :ninja:

Hope this helps, Tom.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats, I've got an LDS 2X10 neo and love it, running with a 410T Eden, I'm flapping pants legs, I can't imagine what its like at full power mine hasen't seen 5 on my master volume, too much ear agony, Don makes great stuff.

6. hotblacktar

hotblacktar

Sep 6, 2002
    I agree.

2X15s seem to have fallen out of popularity with all of the innovations in bass speaker design but you're right, nothing really sounds like a 2X15. I am not saying they're the best, just saying they have a sound all their own.

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Just had to post another picture of it. It's so pretty! And sounds amazing!!!

8. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Re: Power amps: I highly recommend the CA9.

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I would just want a 6 x 10 sittin next to it.

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Does the background come in anything but blue? I'd like a red background! :bassist:

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Given that LDS cabs are all custom jobs I'm sure you could get any color you liked.

I just got an email from Don regarding a cab idea I had, turns out he has something simillar already in the works: a 1500 watt 210/118, with the 18 in a sealed chamber and seperated from the 10s by a dedicated cross over. This could be just the thing for my low A tuned 5 string!