My LDS 2x8 cab came in!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gyoon, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    I got the 2x8 with the larger 4 and a half inch tweeter. Don seemed to think that this would fill out the midrange better for this particular cabinet. So far I have been playing the cab with my Eden TT 330 head at about chest level.

I have only tried it out at apartment volumes, but my initial reaction is a positive one. The lows are indeed quite low. Ghost notes seem to punch me in the chest a little harder than other amps I am familiar with. The upper mids are quite articulate with the tweeter a little cranked. All in all a very impressive cab considering the price. In searching for a cabinet to buy I have tried out the EA cxl112, the Bergantino ht112 and ex112 (both which I loved) as well as various Eden and Ashdown cabs. The LDS doesn't seem to put out quite the midrange rock and roll grunt of the Bergantinos, particularly in tandem, but that isn't quite a fair comparison. I would say that it was fairly close in sound to the EA that I tried in terms of clarity.

I was originally on order for the 3x8 but decided against it when I considered the issue of portability on the subway system of Toronto. This is a bit of a pig on its own, (40 pounds or so, 20 inches wide, 13.5 inches high, 16 inches deep) but is quite manageable with my Samsonite suitcase roller cart.

Next up? Well, I have been looking at getting an EA Wizzy cabinet, but because it's 4 ohms, I'm not sure if this would be a good match.

I hope I haven't left anything out. I should say I'm no amp guru, just one more schmoe looking for a good sound in a portable package at a fair price. I think I have found it in this baby. (I AM still looking for an EA Whizzy cabinet. I'd love to shoot them out)

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Glenn, Congrats, I just posted on a new LDS cabinet today, I have also been very impressed by his "mini" stuff. He has a 1 X 8 in the store powered by a clarius that would probobly destroy a lot of the 100 watt combos in a band situation!! His mini stuff the 3 X 8, the 2 X 8 and the 1 X 12 plus the 3 X 8 coaxual are incredible for there size! They kinda change the way you think about bass cabs, big difference form the 70's where you needed 2 15's and 400 watts to play with every kid who had a twin! His prices are avatar like but I would put his quality up there with Eden at least.
  3. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Those of you who have talked to Don about his 8" long throw cabs know that he is working with his supplier to eak a little more midrange out of that driver without sacrificing it's prodigious bass. I just measured the first sample the other day and it looks very promising.