Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My least expensive bass is getting most play...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain Scarlet, Apr 27, 2004.

1. I've been jamming at a rehearsal studio with a group of friends for the last few weeks, which has been a great learning experience. Funny thing is that I've brought my various basses there for the sessions, but the one bass the guys in my group keep telling me to bring back is my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, my least expensive instrument, even with a U-Retro upgrade. They said that they love the way it sounds and hangs in mix.

Does anyone else here own a lot of nice gear but wind up mostly playing their least expensive stuff? Makes me consider selling everything else... Nah, just kidding. :)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My modulus Q6, in a rock band mix, doesn't compare to my Stingray 5, though it sounded much better when played all by itself. Go with what works in your setting . . .

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, friends prefer the Jazz Bass Special....

4. i think your MM jazz is more expensive than my most expensive bass. but i still revert to the first bass i've ever owned -- a lyon by washburn p copy. i have a bartolini pickup in it. it's made of plywood.

robb.

5. well i dunno about your situation in particuler but i find myself using my G3, pretty much only. this babe has the BEST soound(s), playability is getting better i must admit.

previous owner messed up the screw holes in the body, so the neck sits at a slight angle horizontally i.e. the G string is close to falling off the neck!

i love this bass. i dont wanna frankstein my two grabbers, tho, but ive thought about it a lot...

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I kept trying to use my BTB405 for about a week(to give my wrist a rest), but my band kept telling me to put it away and bring back the roscoe cause the BTB sounded like poop (creative censorship :smug: ) compared to it.

7. I have a Fender Noel Redding Jazz bass that the drummer likes. I sometimes take a G&L SB2 that I like.

Pick either one as the least expensive basses that I play out or practice with the band with.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well my two main basses both cost about $550 new, so they are about the same.

9. Great responses, guys.

Actually, I like the slap tone of the MM the best out of my other basses (even the expensive ones). I just find the MM's fingerstyle tone to not be as great as my RB5.

Interesting thing is that I'm actually a 5 string kind of guy, but these jam sessions have made me revisit the 4 string. I've found a new appreciation for the ever trusty 4 string bass.

If only the MM had a 5th string and a warmer fingerstyle tone, it would be my number one. As it is now, it's a close no. 2... I did try the MM 5 String bass, and while it's a nice instrument, it doesn't quite have the tone and feel of the MM4.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Every time is sit down to rehearse I end up playing my Mark Hoppus Precision. Why? There is just something about it that I am really comfortable with. I may have found one of the few GC Hoppus' that was not horribly constructed or had its knob plundered. And, yes, its a pink one. With the right amp, that controversial 1/4 pounder really cuts and rumbles!

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I guess it depends on the gig, but for the last few months or so I have been using an early 80's Vantage Precision. For some reason, it just sounds great. Warm, growly, and articulate. Although I must say the Sadowsky I briefly had before that SMOKED it. The Sadowsky I will have in a couple weeks will smoke it too;)