1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Little 1973 Fender Musicmaster..... It's a Slap Machine!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I picked up this bass recently on eBay for pretty cheap with the intention of flipping it. The seller had almost no feedback and the pics and descriptions were terrible.

It showed up and it wasn't much to look at or play. A bunch of EBMM Wonder Wipes later, new strings, truss rod adjustments and a quick setup later..... it sounded like crap. The volume pot was also toast. Off I go to get a new 250k pot, install it and WOW!

For a cheapie bass that only has a single pickup (from a Telecaster guitar!), it now rocks. I might have to keep the damn thing. it had a Precision sound but also nails a kinda Jazz tone for slap (missing the high end).

I definately don't NEED it, but it might be fun to gig with a few times for fun.

Anyone have experience with one of these?

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yes. My guitarist's dad has one of these from '73. I have played it a couple times. The thing is a major mud factory, but the neck is straigh as an arrow. I was also amazed at how such a small bass could weigh so much. Needless to say I don't use it regularly :)

3. bickele

bickele

Dec 29, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I borrowed one from a friend for a couple of weeks and loved the feel and sound (although on the muddy side...) but it had serious intonation issues!

b.

4. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    A Dakota Red MusicMaster was my starter bass back in 1974... Moved to the real deal P bass in '76. Would love to pick one up to have available for my daughters...

5. I got one of them new back in '74, looked just like that one. It was fine, I was just starting to play at the time. I wish I still had it. I stopped playing for quite a while and it sat upstairs for years. One day I come home from work and the wife said she sold it along with an old Ampeg with an 18" cabinet at a yard sale. I wasn't very upset at the time but now I see they are going from $600 and up. Now that pisses me off.

6. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have had two 1973 Musicmasters.
    I sold one of them and replaced the stock " Stratocaster " PUP
    with a Dark Star PUP, on the one I kept.
    I think you will find, in a band enviorment, that stock PUP
    is not going to cut thru very well.
    I love my Dark Star Musicmaster ,and I
    often get positive feedback from
    other musicians on how great it sounds.
    It really is a joy to play also.
    The neck in extremely fast, and the intonation
    on mine is near perfect.
    Good luck with yours.
    And by the way, the earlier Musicmasters, like ours,
    are in my opinon, much nicer then the later ones.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Here is my '71 Musicmaster! It's been modded with an EMG J pickup and I just bought a Custom Shop J pickup here off TB to replace the EMG. I love it! Fast neck, super light and a blast to play!

and here's a picture of me and my neice playing it....

chloe.

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had one of these (early 70's) as my first bass way back when. It would be cool to still have it, just for sentimental value, but that's about the only reason. The tone was just too muddy for my liking.

10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    That looks exactly like my first bass many, many, many years ago.

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
  12. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    I have a 73 butterscotch blonde. Its a cool little bass but doesnt cut through the mix very well. I'm going to make it a piccolo this week

13. Baird6869

Thanks for the feedback.

It truly sounds great, not that muddy, but I was worried that it won't cut in the mix. I am going to bring it to a full volume rehearsal tomorrow and see how it goes.

I will likely eBay it. Looks like they are going in the $600-700 range with a case. That will help me pay for a EBMM Sterling.

14. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    Really? wow they have gone up. I got mine a few years ago for 400 :hyper:

15. Baird6869

Many people try to sell them for $1000-1200 thinking they are worth what a Mustang is but even in ok shape they will sell for no less than $500.

16. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    Thought I'd post some pics of mine :eek:

[​IMG]

17. falcor

falcor

Mar 27, 2008
    How much did you snag it for on ebay? just curious. I'm looking to fix one up as well.