1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My little EHX Microsynth Incident

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mesa XI, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    Yesterday I was jamming with one of my roommates. I was playing my Wishbass, which has a considerably lower tone than my Alvarez, through my Hartke Kickback 15. We're just goofin around so I kick the switch to my Microsynth. I still had it set to Sub-Octave all the way up, and Envelope shift from lowest to highest with the rate all the way up.

I hit that open E and immediately knew I'd done something horrible. I looked at my amp and it completely tore through the metallic part of the speaker, I'd say the gash was a foot and a half considering the curvature. Let that be a lesson to all of us, always adjust your settings to the instrument you're using.

2. Holy crap. Thanks for the warning. My BMS just arrived yesterday. I haven't even had a chance to fool with it yet. And while I feel your speaker pain the speaker-splitting awesomeness produced by he BMS is impressive. :ninja:

3. I'm sorry to hear about your amp, but on the other hand THAT'S AWESOME!
    I'd really like to see a picture of said torn speaker

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I actually use that setting all the time and have never had an issue. I've used it w/ three different basses (Fender Jazz IV, Fender Jazz V, and Rick 4003).

Sorry to hear about your issue! Yikes!

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Put a notch on your BMS, you need to keep a record of its kills.

6. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    Haha, I think it was mainly a grand compilation of bad moves on my part. Using the heavy gauged fretless, the settings I had the Amp itself set to, and then most importantly the full on suboctave with the low envelope. I'll try to post a picture later.

7. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    signature worthy

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I feel the need for a limiter now with my MXR Carbon Copy - that oscillation can get waaaay out of control if you're not careful! Sell the amp to Daniel Tulip / Nyarlathotep, he's looking for an effect to simulate a blown speaker.

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Zing. Zing. Zing!

10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Indeed. :D

11. a big plus one to that

There is a Hartke Kickback with terminal farting problems at the rehearsal studio my band uses. Now I know how to put it out of its misery once and for all :bassist:

12. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Awesome!!!
    Sorry about the loss of your amp, but I've yet to blow a speaker using super low frequencies. When I first got my Barge Concepts Grinder, I found an awesome dub tone that you felt more than heard. It was a wall-shaking, window-rattling, car-alarm-tripping good time. :smug:

As for the MXR Carbon Copy, it's best to stick it behind a volume pedal for self-oscillation, or turn the mix knob all the way to fully ccw (7:00) and turn it up to taste. That sucker gets massively loud!

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    My guitarist's got a Hartke Kickback at his house that has occasional power issues. Maybe I'll pay him a visit with my BMS...

14. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    Just don't buy a Hartke 15, I've blown this speaker 3 or 4 times now through various scenarios. Other than the input the amp itself has held up, but the speaker can't handle the volume capacity of the amp. I'm debating weather or not I should bother fixing it or not, I guess if I can find the extra speaker I had stashed away somewhere I'll give it one more go. I miss my Ampeg.

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    ....why has my GAS for the BMS tripled?

16. Ditto.

My 1x15 cab is a hartke transporter series, and I blew that aluminum cone speaker twice in two years. The last time, I said no more hartke drivers. I ended up putting in a peavey black widow, and that thing has pounding lows and has lasted 4 great years so far.

17. so it was the low frequency that tore the cone? is this problem with all aluminium cones? better watch out on my hartke, ive got the 250W version

18. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Warning! Technical mumbo-jumbo-debate-inducing question follows:
    Would it be due to the sub-octave excurting the speaker farther than it can go that would be the problem, or would it be too much wattage being pushed to the speakers due to the BMS that would more likely cause this?

Prepare for battle stations! :bag:

19. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

Feb 25, 2009
    Hmmm....

I'm not to good with this kind of thing, but I assumed that it was the low frequency. I used my Alvarez bass with the same settings for a while and had no problem, but once I picked up the my Wishbass it was blown away. I suppose it's possible that the volume was too loud, but the volume on the Wish is lower than any Bass I've ever played. I blame the frequency, but who knows. I'll get some pics for you guys to analyze

20. is it really going to take 20 posts to get to this?

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!