Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My local GC bites

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jondog, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I do not like my local Guitar Center. They sent me an inventory reduction sale flier yesterday w/ enticing prices, so I went there today all adrool. Do you have the 2 Danelectro pedals advertised? No. Do you have the Roadkill distortion that looks like a Brat. No, wait, we have one left. It says Roadkill on it but it looks like a Soundtank. Can I try it? Uhh... gets adapter and hooks it up, doesn't work. Leave fx section, pro audio is supposed to have a mic + preamp pkg. for $150. Nope. $50 intelligent lights, ripple or tornado? Nope. Acid software is supposed to be $10 w/rebate; software is there but no rebates. Grrrr... I did see good deals on used Mesa cabs and a used SWR WM110. I do not want any of those. I do not like my local Guitar Center.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I hate that.

My closest guitar center doesn't often have anything that interests me. It's pretty sucky. :( But in any case, all I need now is another Jazz. I am planning on a MIJ variety. Either a Geddy Lee, or something used from Ebay. Of couse GC doesn't have any GL Basses in stock, so... it's off to ebay.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    my local guitar center is staffed by people with absolutely no knowledge of the industry much less their jobs. Not only that but the stock plays down to the lcd (i guess that's what sells.)

My local gc does not even carry 6 string sets. They told me to pick a 5 string set and they would add (for an xtra $15) a c string - that's when I knew they truly bit.

Haven't been back since.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Last month, I went to fairly new GC in north St. Louis county since it was closest to my hotel. What a bummer!!! To wit;

- I know musicians who have more gear in their homes than that store
    - Almost all the guitar/bass gear (incl. accessories) I saw ranged from mediocre to crap. The best bass stuff I saw was a SINGLE Modulus (next best was Fender) and the best amp I saw was a single Ampeg Pro, (no Classic SVT's).
    - I came to look at pre-amps. They didn't have a single one.
    - The prices I saw on much of the gear weren't competitive with other mega-dealers like Musician's Fiend.

I guess this store was just an aberration. I've seen
    bigger GC's. I just hope this one isn't representative of their new stores.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Wowsers. That is bad. Usually I see tons of Ampeg stuff. I also see a good deal of SWR and Fender stuff. And then there is a few GK, and other amp items... and of course tons and more tons of Crate.

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The one here in Rockville sucks too. All they have is Ampeg stuff, which is fine but what if you don't want an Ampeg, a couple of old Eden cabs and two SWR heads. As far as basses go they have 6 Warwicks a few Musicmans a few Fenders and about 40 OLPs. The bass department coudl fit in a big service elevator.:mad: . Then you go to the guitar side and there is acres and acres of those @$%^ things.:mad:

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's because as a bassist you are a wanna be guitarist, hence a second class citizen. ;)

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Not a chance. BTW wannabe is one word:p

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Is the gc in Rockville giving Veneman's a run for its money ? NOt that I've been there in years...

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What can ya say, Rick? :rolleyes: Someone in the biz told me the stores in his chain sell anywhere from 6-10 guitars for every bass they sell. So many spotlight hogs chasing the first flashy thing that comes along :rolleyes:

Gabe - That store had mostly Ampeg stuff. Thing was, 90% of it wasn't large enough to play a big room. And as you mentioned, it looked like a "crate" warehouse :rolleyes:

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Rickbass!!! How's it going havent seen you for awhile!! How's the DP??!!

I agree, I always saw a better selection at Mars compared to GC. But now it looks like the MARS here maybe no more.:(

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I know. But it still pisses me off.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Doh! I must be a wanna be mean maker funner type dude.

Doh, again!

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It does seem like their "market" is the youngsters. So where do you go if you are a pro? It seems like your only choice is online for most of the nation.

16. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    The GC in Rockville isn't the greatest, but it still blows the GC in Towson out of the water. What a miserable excuse for a music store.

17. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
  18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    at least you guys can go to Chuck's... I have to call them and have it shipped...Philly has very few "good"music stores.

19. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    This is true. We do love chucks. Too bad about his passing.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, two of the guitar centers around here are like that. the tards have no clue as to what is on their walls, what anything does, how anything works. bass northwest, however, is a different story :D