Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My lonely brain cell hurts ( was Gravity being taught as a fact.)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Isn't that sort of stupid for schools to do?

There are more theories than gravity.

One is that the universe is constantly growing... so when we jump, the earth grows back to us, giving us the down effect.

I'd say that theory is just as good as the invisible tractor beam that we are taught to believe is real.

Thoughts?

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    The facts actually FIT the theory of universal gravitation, thus far.

Science is a gradual process. None of the so-called "laws" that we have are "facts", per se - they are just approximations that fit the facts. Better ones will appear in time.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As mentioned, gravity is not a "fact" but rather a law. It be tested and found to be predictable. Overtime, mathematics have been developed to do just that - predict behavior.

Because these mathematics also prove valid not only in assuring that we stay stuck to this large rock we are on, they also prove valid, in predicting acceleration, understanding the relationships of spacial objects, explaining how it balances against inertia (why one spacial object may orbit another) etc.

This makes is a better argument than the great swelling universe theory.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That theory doesn't quite seem to work. Say you jump up. If the world just grew to meet us, then our hair wouldn't flip up on the way down in a reverse motion; it would just stay still. Unless you're saying that the world is moving so fast that it blows our hair upwards-but if that were the case, then it would be blown upwards all the time, wouldn't it?

5. this sounds like a drug-induced question.......

like: do we all see colors the same? i mean, what i see as green, may be purple to someone else.....whoah..............

which of course is stopped by the sober one saying: doesn't work...... well, only to a point, because mixing colors still has to work.....

6. I guess you could argue gravity is not a fact, but there's no arguing the fact that if you jump of the top of a building, your ass is going down, fast. Seems gravity would be the most logical reason for that.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You really are an idiot, aren't you?

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's too funny!!!!!:D

9. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

This thread is silly :p

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually, I have decided that I am an idiot for having responded to this thread in any other fashion than the one you chose.

Chas

11. I used to ask that all the time as a kid. Turns out my friend who "saw different" was colorblind! I guess thats how it goes, eh? :p

12. I have had two friends who have been colorblind. One wore only white shirts and blue jeans the other risked it. The "other friend" was also a lighting technician for a theatre that I worked in. He could only do white splashes and follow spots that had the colors written on the handles. Pretty funny.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a friend is who is pretty much colorblind(scored a 50% on his color vision test) He loves Orange because it's a color that he can see clearly, he almost always wears orange or bright yellow shirts.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bling!

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gravity is a fact. explanations of it are theories.

WHY ARE YOU WASTING BANDWIDTH WITH THIS RETARDED DRIVEL?

16. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Subtleness is overrated anyway...:D

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Mike, I invented a different type of elevator that you might like to know about: instead of the elevator car moving up and down in the building, it stays stationary and the whole universe moves up and down, relative to the elevator.

It takes an awful lot of energy to accelerate the whole universe, but man, is it smooth. And you don't have to worry about the cable breaking.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Was there ever any doubt in your mind?

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not for a second. :D

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Didn't Einstein propose that gravity is, rather than a force as such, a "warping" of space caused by objects with large mass?

I could be speaking out my arse, but I recall reading that somewhere...

Either way, it doesn't make any difference to this thread, because it's still SILLY!