1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Lucky Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mickeyb48, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    Well I got a steel, fantastic, what ever you would call it deal this afternoon. Over the past couple of days an acquaintance of mine knew I was playing bass again, and asked what I had, told him a Geddy Lee Jazz. He said he had a Fender Precision in a closet he was going to sell off to make more room in the house. He hasn't played in over 20 years, he said. I asked him to bring it to work that I might be interested in buying it.

Well I opened the original Fender case, and their was a mocha looking P Bass with a maple neck which is in great shape. Black pick-guard, with the original screws, the pickup cover, looks like the original bridge, knobs, and pickups. Paid ($200.00), yep the typing is correct $200.00.

After calling Fender, and checking online it is a 1977/1978 USA. I did some looking on ebay, and not sure if I should just clean it up, keep it or sell it, for a new bass I'm wanting. Such a position to be in, (I am very happy today).

Mike

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Pics...oh god, please...pics. Love those 70s Mocha finishes...

I will give you $250 for it RIGHT NOW.

3. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Seems like that might be a bad Karma collector? Does the guy you bought it from know its worth ALOT more than that?

4. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    Not sure if he's checked or thought about. I asked him how much he paid for it, back then with Peavy amp, $500.00. He said me an offer, well I said 200, will pay him cash on Sunday.

5. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Don't mean to be a buzzkill! Deals like that can sometimes come around and bite you in the ass later is all. Depends on your relationship with the guy I guess, and what kind of relationship you might care about or not care about down the road...

6. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    We have a great relationship. He told me he was going check on price. I wasn't sure what kind of condition it was going to be in. Well instead of selling, I'll just clean it up just in case he wants it back.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Why would you take it and sell it?

8. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    You know your right about selling it, an honest opinion is welcomed. I should just appreciate a great deal and realize I'll never have another opportunity to do this again. Should I replace some of the rusted screws around the pick guard, or leave it all natural?

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Heck, if the neck's alright it may not "need" anything. Might be a killer as-is.

After all this time, maybe some new strings and a setup...possibly clean out the electronic guts if the pots are scratchy or something...

But pickguard screws? Even if a bit rusty, they aren't hurting a thing...

10. At $200 thats $1300-$1600 profit if original, if thats a "friend" I would be a little more fair to him, $200 is really, really low. Then again a seller should do their own homework. I mean someone on here bought a custom colored '62 Jazz from there friend for $100, and I bet its worth well over 10k but he didnt go and flip it.

11. Mickeyb48

Mickeyb48

Feb 15, 2015
    Yep I'm not gonna flip it just enjoy it.

12. bungletrpg

bungletrpg

Aug 8, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    I'll bid 300.