1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My main bass is now a (shudder) Peavey!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, May 30, 2007.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Suspended

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Return full circle: My first basses I owned were Peaveys, namely Foundation and Axcelerator models from the early 90s. After moving up to Fender Precisions and Jazzes I swore I would never play a Peavey again! However, after reading numerous positive reviews as well as purchasing and reading the artist's latest book, "Off The Rails" I decided on a whim to snag a 1989 Rudy Sarzo signature model. After performing the requisite adjustments to the neck and bridge the bass plays and sounds amazing! It is lightweight, balances perfectly, has a flatter neck than a Jazz bass, high-quality Schaller hardware, and produces a hi-fi active tone that is extremely versatile. Killer slap tone. Flipping the active switch off makes it almost sound like a vintage Fender Precision.

I guess Peavey discontinued these models to be replaced by the Cirrus line. I've played some Cirri, and none came close to the build quality or sound that these models represent. I highly recommend these basses, they tend to show up on Ebay quite often. I finally found a reason not to risk bringing my $1600 Fender Walnut Precision Special to gigs, when I'm perfectly happy playing this $400 Peavey model. I've attached a pic; I replaced the cheap black plastic control knobs with metal gold ones.

Peavey rules! (Did I just say that?):eek:

2. Very nice bass you have there :D Any chance of sound recordings? Dan

3. ster

ster Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Better than a Cirrus? If it is then I got to get me one.

4. peaveys get a bad rap for some reason. Considering that their millenium bass gets play from some big pros (namely John Campbell of Lamb of God) even though it costs ~$200 brand new. Peavey makes great stuff for great prices. And thats that. :)

5. Nice!! I've always loved those basses.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know you, but you sound like somebody who spent more time checking out headstocks instead of listening to basses (I know all about that because I did plenty myself.:smug: ) I seriously doubt if any of the Fenders you bought were better than the Peaveys you started out playing. I know I love the heck out of Peaveys. I have honestly never owned a bad one, and almost all were great.:cool:

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Suspended

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan

Sorry, just using it live for right now!

8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Suspended

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    No, the Foundation was just all right, and I never really liked the Axcelerator. This is the only Peavey model that really has floored me so far! What's pretty cool is that this particular bass was made right when I started playing (August of 1989).

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's cool. I'm glad you like that Sarzo anyway.:cool:

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Peavey basses have come a long way since they were first introduced many years ago, and are generally still way under-rated, IMHO. Even though they mostly occupy the lower end of the market, some of these instruments are among the most innovative bass guitars ever made.

How about the B Quad model? Or the Cyberbass?

MM

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great for you. I'm glad you could throw in a little dig at those of us who like Fenders while you were at it.

12. I can if he won't. :bag:

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    The Millenium model that is played by the lamb guy is the US one, fwiw. They retailed at over a grand. You'll see posts here about "millenium plus" basses. They compare VERY well to US made Laklands, IMHO. I have one, a fiver. Looking for a second....

14. u-djinn

u-djinn

Mar 6, 2007
    Malaysia
    polkahero: i like how u pluralised cirrus.. lol

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hey Jimmy, I mean no disrespect towards Fenders. I have owned more than few myself. I only meant to say that Peaveys, especially the USA made ones, compare very favorably to basses that are much more expensive, and more prestigious to own.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No problem, then, Docteur Fromage.

BTW, I really don't mind the digs against Fenders. People like what they like and I have no stake in Fender other than being a player. What I DO mind is the condescending attitude some people have about Fenders like we buy them for the name on the headstock or we have no idea what a good bass is or etc. That's why your comment struck me the way it did.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021