Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Marcus Miller is.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Sep 25, 2005.

1. driving me crazy. Last night I play with some people and my tone was way off. I seemed to get alot of clicking in my sound that came from my right plucking hand. Every time I hit the strings against the pick up it did it. Plus the E string was way louder than the rest. After a while I turned down the pots on the bass and raised the amp volume and the click seemd to receed but the E string was way louder still. Now Im thinking of changing my pre amp and pickups like so many others to a Sadowski. It was really fustrating.

2. Perhahps, setting the bass, changing strings and changing settings on the amp will help you to solve that!!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It seems that the pickups need to be lowered on the bass side.

4. +1

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    +2

The strings shouldn't audibly hit the pickup.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I experienced the same problem on my MM, and lowering the pickups took care of the issue.

7. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    What about the battery?

8. I did not like my MM for fingerstyle playing.

I also felt the EQ was all boost and no cut.

Lastly... no tone control in passive mode... thumbs down.

9. That much I can try, but it seems I've heard of this before from reviews of the instrument.

But let me ask you this Nino, could it be the pre amp or the pups or both? If lowering the pick ups does'nt work.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My advice is to do the obvious stuff first. Are you hitting the string against the pickup as you said?

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's how Marcus' personal bass is. It's a signature model based on his instrument.

MM's own Jazz has no passive tone control. I doubt he even uses it in that mode.