My mate decided to do something insane

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    One of my best friends wants a wall of power. He wants to do one of the following :

or some combination of 15s 12s and 10s.

What would go best, do you think, for a heavy metal band? I'm thinking the 15's, but I don't really know.
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    a mack truck and roadies.
    oh, and at that rate anything you want...get some of each speaker size.
  3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    He's going to put it in his garage and leave it there. Appearantly, his neighbors anger him. And they practice in his garage.
  4. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I have a "wall of sound"... well, I suppose you could call it that: 3 x 15"s plus 3 x 10"s. What I did was buy a couple of Bergantino cabs: NV215 & NV425. I push them with an Aguilar DB750...
  5. Sounds like money well spent :rolleyes:
  6. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Heh, one of these days, me and the saxophonist in my ska band are gonna build a wall of sound in my garage. Literally; a wall of speakers. Any and every speaker we can get our hands on, reguardless of power or whatever, just shove them in the wall, and buy like an 8000 watt amp for them or something stupid, and run them all at once... Now that would be hardcore :bassist:

...Until the amp cut out or set on fire, or the wall fell over, or perhaps we'd just deafen ourselves. It'd be an interesting experiment, if we buy earplugs and stand a few hundred metres back... Possibly behind a wall :bag:
  7. I'd kick the neighbors out of my garage first.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Your friend is retarded.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    One SVT head and an 8x10 would be all that's needed to get arrested!..

But maybe the money would be put to better use by moving!
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, the exuberance of youth!
  11. Let him buy a bi-amp with 2x15 and 4x10.
  12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    hmm...spend $X,XXX on 8-12 speakers (good luck with impedance) that you won't likely be able/willing to transport which will likely sound like roaring mud or $X,XXX on 2-4 speakers of considerably higher quality, articulation, and response and have enough money left over for a high quality amp and a "check out my new rig" party with the bbq..I just dunno
  13. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Indeed... thank you! I worked extra hard so I could put together this rig... :p
  14. I'd go for less speakers with better quality, and spend the rest on sound proofing. An 8x15? WhOA! I thought 4 was plenty.......
    His neighbours will just keep calling the authorities otherwise. Same dilemma I had to go through very recently (and still am:rollno: )
  15. I just dont think I could have said it better.
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If I felt like I absolutely had to have that many speakers, and deal with that kind of size and wieght...
    I still wouldn't.
    I'd get a Schroeder 310212 eno, and have that much destructive power in a 75lb box.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  18. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Sounds like your friend is probably compensating for a small wang...
  19. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    I'm reminded of the opening scene in "Back to the Future"...

Is it bad if that movie inspired me to play rock and roll? :D
  20. To add to what I said your friend pretty well off? No offense, but most musicians I know aren't a part of high society, and generally don't have oodles of cash to throw around on a whim. Like someone else said, he could've used that money on a rig he could actually use to gig, or used that money to put a down payment on something useful, like a car.