1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My medical insurance company SUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Soooo, my agency switched insurances last year. Today is the first dealings I've had with the new company. I wanted to have a preventative routine physical done, as it's been a few years. I just found out that four out of the five lab tests ordered (all blood work) require me to pay my deductible, which is $500! To make matters worse, their "year" starts on 6/01, so even if I did end up paying the scumbags, come 6/01 I'd have another $500 deductible all over again.

It's literally AMAZING to me that they don't fully cover routine preventative care. Even prostate exams. The rep I spoke to on the phone said they are no longer covered. At all. A PSA wasn't ordered for me, but if it was I'd be pissed. Apparently, Highmark Blue Shied would prefer to incur the tens of thousands of dollars of cancer treatment costs than to pay for a cheap blood test.

I'm absolutely livid right now. :mad:

P.S. As much as I know at least a few of you want to turn this political, don't.

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    You should be pissed. Feeling for you.

3. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Yeah, they suck. It's even worse if you're like me. I'm a 39 year old who has been diabetic for 30 years. No complications, healthy, married, family type lifestyle, but they won't touch me. Neither will most life insurance companies.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    On the whole, yes, they all suck. If you've got one that doesn't suck they will probably suck in the near future.

Without getting political I don't think anything has been done to alleviate the situation. Prepare for more suck.:p

5. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Rather than get political, would you rather me tell you my $100K neck surgery only cost me $1K out of pocket? That my Preventative tests and blood work are merely office visits with a small co-pay?

I really do empathize with your situation. But it is hard to comment on your experience without proposing some sort of solution. The only solution is a political one as the labor market cannot control for this.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Depending on the nature of the tests being requested, not all of them may be considered routine preventative care. In regard to prostate exams, there is debate on both sides of the fence as to how effective routine exams are.

-Mike

7. Well, my tests are a lipid profile, CBC, TSH, and Three T4. All pretty typical lab tests. I'm waiting to hear back on an out-of-pocket cost. I'm pretty sure it won't be near my deductible cost.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah, those are typical. I wonder if it is the lab charging you to do the readings. That is what happened in my case. No charge from my provider, then I got a bill a month or so later from the lab.

-Mike

9. Nope. I was on the phone with my insurance company. The charge is all them, in that I have to pay my $500 deductible.

10. paying my insurance for over a year before I had to use it. go to the doctors for strep. pay a 20 dollar copay then get billed for 98 dollars because my insurance company only payed for 20 dollars of doctor bill...

uhmmm what???

11. Ben B

Ben B Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sorry, Eric, that really sucks. I'm not sure who's worse--the insurance company for offering a plan where not all preventative care is covered for free (or cheap) or your employer for going with such a stupid plan.

12. I'd say both. :scowl:

13. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    The core of the problem here is that idiotic system of binding your health insurance to your employer. So you don't have the choice of paying for better health insurance without quitting.

Yes I know theoretically you can buy your own but the cost for that is out of control compared to other countries and compared to what your employers pays, not to mention you don't get your employer's payment back if you insure yourself.

Is there any other developed country which does this by default?

14. What infuriates me most is if I were on welfare, all of these things would be covered, 100%.

When I think about things like that I truly get disgusted and sick to my stomach.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Someone say something about not turning this political? ;)

16. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    Not to say that insurance companies don't suck, but there's a big difference between the tests "not being covered" and "falling under your deductible". Bad timing, though. Still a big "Ouch" in the wallet.

17. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    +1
    My wife works in health care and I hear this all the time. A hard working family pays out of pocket for real needs or worse simply can't afford them abs go without, and someone on government assistance gets there needs and some wants items covered for free. That's not right.

18. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Yeah, this is mentioned a lot when discussing healthcare. However, my wife's sister is on Medicaid, medical welfare, and the care her and her kid's receive amounts to visits to the emergency room. Most doctor's won't accept Medicaid, so getting preventative tests is very difficult for her, usually requiring a visit to a free clinic or the like.

I feel your pain on having to pay for those tests, my insurance has gotten much more expensive too. Employer's, even larger ones, just aren't footing the bill like the used to. This trend began long before the new healthcare legislation by the way. Our contracts run three years at a time, and our insurance began this down turn about a decade ago.

19. Living on welfare shouldn't exclude someone from medical care.

Medical insurance being one of the highest profit generators in the US is indicative of the real issue...

20. Wow! They don't sound very competitive. I'm guessing your company went with the lowest bidder. It's hard to imagine that today we still have insurance companies who don't cover preventative screenings. Ridiculous in my opinion and it makes me suspicious of how they will handle your claim if you ever actually need to use any of their money.