1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My medium gig "stack": AI Contra and Carvin BRX10.2 neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I just used this live for the first time last night, with an electric fusion band, smallish room (50-75 people), no pa. I played my fretless P-bass. Overall band volume level was comfortable ... loud enough, but no earplugs needed.

[​IMG]

Anyway, this worked great. With my series I (original) Contra combo, it ends up being 300 watts into the 3 10's plus mid driver. To balance the band (guitarist playing a Blues Jr and drummer on a small kit), I had the master and pre volumes both just about noon. My wife has one of the newer AI combos with more watts, might try that one as well to see the difference.

Anyway, this produced quite a good sound that impressed both the audience, the band, and the club owner (who is a fine blues guitarist / singer himself). It was great for stage monitoring, since that mid driver on the combo was elevated very nicely.

Of course, one compromise in this setup is the fact that the AI has a crossover with dedicated mids, while the Carvin 210 is running full-range. And something I have no idea about is the effect of combining a downfiring driver in the combo with the front-firing drivers of the Carvin cab. In any event, though, the setup worked very well for all concerned. Just thought I'd share!

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I think you go through the most bass gear of anyone I have ever seen:D

At least it always stays fresh!

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Vinny,

Haha, this stuff has actually been with me for a while ... picked both up cheap a while back. Just never played the combination live until last night.

And in my defense, some of the gear turnover has been forced by circumstances. Not all though!

Good to hear from you!

Liam

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

I hear you on that!
    I am down to the DC112xlt combo, WT405, D212xlt, D210xst.

ALL the rest of it is gone:(