Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Mesa 2x15 started to smoke!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Galdal, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hi everyone!
    I was at rehearsel tonight with my band, making a video.
    When we played I noticed that the bass sound wasn`t so bassy that it used to be. looking closer I saw that it was only the upper 15" who worked and suddenly it startet to come out smoke on the upper right side..I just turn it off, and removed the back-plate..but couldn`t see anything wrong there,..what might this be??? Now I have two mesa cab who dosn`t work :eek: :(
    Do someone have a clue??
    The cab was fixed in 2002, and I have barely used it..

I play ric 4001-budda phatbass-mesa 400+- mesa 2x15", and normal settings..input-2, volume 7, master 2-3, mid 10, treble 7, bass 8, no eq. and no pull switches.

All the best
    Tore Galdal

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I don't know the cause of it, but I would say that smoke was from the paper woofer burning. Looks like you've got a dead woofer. Or could it be a loose wire that touched the inside padding? If it's the woofer then this one is going to cost you; those speakers aren't cheap.

3. okei, have send them to the repair-man..
    Maybe I should rather crush both of my mesa/boogie cabs:) and buy a new one....hmm
    :bassist:

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Damn you are incredibly unlucky, all this after your trouble with the 1516 cab, stick with them, when you get them both fixed up fully you will have an AMAZING rig.

5. Yeah I know, maybe someone have but a spell on me or something...allways something bad happening too me..
    I think it will be a great rig for me(maybe a bit big) if it get fixed, we are starting to doing gigs around in Norway, so this stresses me a bit :eek:

Thanx :bassist:

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm guessing that you melted a voice coil. Does the top 15" move in/out as easily as the bottom? If not, this might be the case (unfortunately).

Tom.

7. The upper 15" moves a lot (maybe to much) the lower dosn`t move anymore....only sound from the upper.
    weired.

8. Nice hammer by the way Tom :) :bassist:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, my bad. It's the upper cone that still works. Yup, I'd say you fried the voice coil on the bottom driver.

Tom.

10. jup, now I know..thanks:)
    Visit your webblogg, awsome Viking bass;)
    all the best!!

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks! Coming from Norway, I really do appreciate your kind words!

Tom.