Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Mesa Scout is making a bad noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waxcomb, Aug 26, 2004.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    After the last two practices, my amp has been making a crackling noise. I replaced the tube that feeds the power amp and it went away. That was last week. Tonight, it was making the noise again after a few hours. Any ideas? It makes the noise with the gain and master volume turned all the way down.

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Yep mine did the same thing when I first bought it. Sounded like a bad cord. I changed the tubes and it still did it. Took it back to my dealer and he gave me a new one, no problems since...Benjamin Strange posted something earlier about Walkabout problems. Maybe he can help you as he is TB's official Boogie rep.

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo

Got link to that thread?
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a Scout, and seemed to have missed that discussion.
    Thanks.

4. I had a Walkabout that did that, I returned it for new imput jacks and the next rehearsal the thing totally melted down, sparks n' smoke.

There are an increasing number of anecdotes of the unreliability of these new mesa amps. My guitarist lost a new mesa combo just a couple months ago that did the same thing as my walkabout.

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    This is copied from Benjamin's Post

Walkabout Improvement Advisory Notice
    Just figured I'd share:
    Quote:
    ADVISORY NOTICE concerning MESA WalkAbout and WalkAbout Scout (Combo) Bass Amplifiers – Effecting Serial Numbers, 000011 through 002001, and Serial Numbers, 002084, 002087, 002088, 002089, 002090, 002091.

Attention Owners, Retailers, Distributors & Authorized MESA Warranty Service Centers;

We have discovered that certain extreme settings can cause a high frequency oscillation (whistling sound) that can damage the horn and L-pad in our Scout Combo and Extension Cabinets - as well as other MESA and potentially non-Mesa Bass Cabinetry, if allowed to continue.

While less than one-tenth-of-one percent of units have shown damage to the Horn and L-Pad, we at Mesa/Boogie want to inform you of this possibility and recommend that you have it cured under our Warranty as soon as convenient. This modification will improve reliability and ensure uninterrupted performance from your Walkabout. You may continue to use your amplifier in the mean time, but please avoid the settings listed below.

Settings To Avoid;

High settings of the Treble control (above 2-3 o’clock) combined with boosted settings of high frequencies with the Parametric EQ, plus high Master settings (above 1 o’clock) can induce the audible high frequency oscillation. This is not a musical setting anyone is likely to use and reducing any one of these control settings will prevent the possibility of the damaging oscillation. Also, since the oscillation is audible as a high-pitch squeal, it is not likely that anyone would allow it to continue, anymore than they would leave a microphone feedback into a PA.

However if the oscillation is allowed to continue for a few minutes or more, it can and probably will damage the L-pad and/or high-frequency horn. Momentary oscillation will not cause damage.

It is likely that you would never discover this setting and therefore would never encounter the associated problem. However, we suggest you arrange with your nearest Authorized Mesa/Boogie Service Center to have the modification made under Warranty. It will not cause any alteration in the sound or response of your WalkAbout. We hope it can be done with the least possible inconvenience to you.

Your Authorized Service Center has the info and parts to do the work in only a few minutes. (If you play a Scout combo, why not help them out by removing the chassis yourself and leaving the cabinet at home.)

We work hard to maintain our reputation for outstanding quality and great customer service and it is in this spirit that we issue this Advisory Notice.

Special Note To Subsequent WalkAbout Owners: If you possess a WalkAbout Bass Amplifier within the serial number range listed above and are not certain that this improvement update has been completed by the previous owner or retailer, please contact our Customer Service Department as soon as possible at 707-778-6565. Please have your serial number available when you call; we will be able to advise you whether or not your amp has been updated. If it hasn’t, we will be happy to put you in contact with your nearest Authorized Mesa/Boogie Service Center to have the update completed under Warranty.

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'm going to try cleaning all of the input jacks with contact cleaner. It was talked about in another thread. I just played for a while and it made no other noise except nice bass.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    We really try to build them like tanks, but nobody's perfect. If you've had a problem, call us, and we'll bend over backwards to fix it.

8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Humblerumble:
    O.K., I did see that one, but is that the same problem that waxcomb is having?

:meh: Well, that's troubling... :meh:

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's only troubling if you think one or two amps going down is indicitive of the whole lot. Nobody makes a fail-proof amp. If there's a problem, let us know; otherwise we can't help.

10. hi there all.... i just purchased a 12" scout combo (4 ohmn)
    it has had the updates and has had no problems with about 20 hours on it so far.....also i have run it most of the time with an 8 ohmn ext cab....been running it with gain at about 1:00 and master at 4 or 5 with eq's set in the middle with no troubles or excessive heat...this combo is awesome, it actually puts my swr 750x with two fifteens to shame !

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Emor: I wasn't sure about that being the same problem. My dealer just gave me a new combo when I took my first one back in, and my new combo is not in the serial number range on Benjamin's post. And just FYI the first combo messed up before I got the extension cab, so I don't want anyone thinking it was from running the Scout at 2ohms. My dealer here is a guy I have known for 25 years, so he goes the extra mile to take care of me, thats the reason he gave me a new combo. When we were troubleshooting the Scout we pulled the head out and put it on a Mesa 4x10 and 1-15 stack and cranked it up and GREAT GOOGLIES it was LOUD. The sales guy said it made his knees weak :p

12. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I have a gig this weekend and the Boogie will have a chance to show if it is better or not. I cleaned all of the inputs with contact cleaner and I plugged the effects loop with rubber plugs (thanks SWR) so they won't oxidize. I really hope that everything is cool. Another thread talked about 80% of the noise problems in Mesa amps being solved by cleaning the inputs. It also gives me another excuse to try it out after work. This amp really shakes the walls. I really can't believe just how loud and ballsy this amp is. It put my SWR stuff to such shame that I traded all of it away for a Victor Bailey Jazz. What an awesome sounding pair, my Victor Boogie.

13. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Good Luck at the gig, I hope it is fixed. I know what you mean about this being a loud punchy little mutha. I sold my SVT Pro3 and PR410 after I bought this thing, and bought the extension cab. Very light and tasty sounding :D