My middle and ring fingers seem to be attached at the tendon?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Melf, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ever since I started playing, every time I pluck a string with my middle finger, the ring finger moves at exactly the same time. I thought when I started that I'd have greater control over my ring finger after I played for a while. Well, it's been almost two years since I first picked up a bass, and my ring finger still moves along with my middle finger. (Oh, as a side note, I don't allow my ring finger to pluck; I keep it just far enough away from the strings so that it doesn't hit anything). I can't see any immediate problem with it other than it looks sort of weird when I play fingerstyle. Should I take any steps to correct this, and if I should, then what could I do?:confused:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most people have that in varying degrees, it's congenital - in other words, you're born with it.
    The adjacent tendons are somehow fused together IIRC.
    I don't know what it's called in English, in German it's called folgsamer Finger (roughly: finger that follows [behind]).

You may be able to do something with training/playing (carefully!), but I don't think you can change it much.
  3. If that doesn't cause any problems, I suggest you leave it alone.
  4. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ok, thanks guys, I'll just leave it alone then.
  5. I have the same problem but with my pinky. I cant move it without moving my ringfinger also. It kinda bothers my fretting hand so it really sucks that you cant do much to help it.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, the ring finger and pinky do share a tendon. Not true of the ring and middle fingers.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMHO, a mere TWO years isn't enough time to un-do what you've had goin' on since birth.
    IMO, more time & proper practice with discipline could help.
    This is the plucking hand, right?
    How's the fretting hand?
    (I would be more concerned if this 'problem' was with the fretting hand).