Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my mim fender jazz pickup PICS (these things look wierd)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by poneet, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I was wondering if the stock MIM's look like this, or if the previous owner swaped them out for even cheaper pickukps. I was also wondering why these magnetic bars are glued to the bottom.. Is that to keep the pole pieces magnetized?

Pictures are too large to upload on the forum so they're here:
    my rogers yahoo briefcase
    click on the "pickups" folder, and then click on 1,2,3,4,5,6 to view the pictures in full.
    or
    my rogers yahoo photos
    click on the thumbnails, and press the download button on the top left-hand side of the photo to view it in full

Thanks for looking!

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    nah, those are the same crappy PUPs that I used to have in my jazz too.
    I've always wondered about those magnets on the bottom as well.

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Those bars are the magnets. The poles are merely steel. It's much cheaper to make a pickup that way than with real Alnico poles. Also, those pickups usually have less wire for the same level of output due to the stength of those magnets.

HTH.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I have a set of your pickups in my MIM pBass deluxe. The pickups they replaced were a "vintage style" whatever that means.

Well, there's no comparison in sound IMHO-the pickups made with alnico magnets sound WAAAYYYY better than what came out of the bass.

Makes the expense well worth it. I'm very happy with the way this bass sounds now. Thank you for the great pickups Carey!

5. Thanks for all the info!!
    These things are going in the garbage as soon as I make up my mind on what to replace them with...

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Get a set of Nordstrands, and you'll be all set IMHO.

Get them here; www.blueberryhillbass.com :hyper:

7. I too prefer Alnico over ceramic
    The tone is smoother and like you said just sounds better.
    I know there are some that prefer ceramic but it beats me as to why.