1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Mini

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Feb 20, 2008.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

As an early-because-we-could-afford-it Birthday present, I just got a Samick Mini Corsair bass.

It's been in the local shop for a while, and I'd play it every time I was there. It's a 25" scale bass meant to be tuned ADGC or piccolo. They had it tuned down to E, which was undoubtedly floppy, but still retained it's playability. I've got it tuned back to ADGC right now and am in the process of adjusting the truss rod and action to get it lower.

For $180, this is an excellent bass. It's actually the first 'new' piece of equipment I've gotten since my LDS cab, as I've been surfing the TB Classifieds and getting excellent deals. The fit and finish is excellent, as is the quality of the hardware.

IMGP0975.

It's smaller than a guitar when it comes to body size, and features just one P-bass pickup, which is about in the middle position. This is a very good, punchy sounding bass. This will probably get more playing time than my other instruments at home, simply because I can sit comfortably on the bed or couch. And, it'll look great when I take it to a gig.

I'm probably going to try stringing it piccolo with guitar strings at some point, but most likely I'll keep it tuned ADGC.

I suggest this thing to anyone who's looking for a good bass for a small child, a tenor or piccolo bass, or a travel bass. Two thumbs up!

2. What a goofy looking but groovy bass! I'd totally love to jam on one of those things!

3. TheEmptyCell

It looks ridiculous on the rack next to my other basses, especially the six string Ibanez. My fiancee wants to see it with a mirror pickguard

4. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    That looks super cool, especially since I'm going on a two-week long trip soon...

EDIT: Wait, that was 180 used? There's one on eBay for 150 brand new.

5. TheEmptyCell

Nope, $180 new, it's just been at the shop for a few months.

6. squish

squish Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    that looks like a mini version of my candy apple red p-bass! same color and everything. my 3 yr old would lose his mind if he had one since he's in the "want to do everything like daddy" phase.

but damn that's a lot of $$ for a 3 yr old...

7. TheEmptyCell

It is a lot to spend on a child, but think about all the other mindless toys and things you could buy. My fiancee and I are lightyears from having kids, but hopefully this will still be around for when we do.

8. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I can't find nothing like this in Italy....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::scowl::scowl::scowl::scowl:

9. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    woah...Thomann didn't came to my mind...
    looks enough good...
    thank you!

10. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  11. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    So what strings do you have on there strung tenor? Stock ones just tuned up?

12. TheEmptyCell

They are a set of ADGC (I'm guessing .85 .65 .45 .30 or thereabouts). They're what came with the bass but they were obviously custom manufactured, because the have silk wrapping at both the bridge and tuning ends. I'll probably order some DR's, since I know the shop will give me a good deal, plus they never disappoint.

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've been eyeing one of those for my kids. I got a Daisy Rock bass for my wife and daughter, but it's still too big for my daughter and way too big for my son.

14. I had one that I just sold. Used it for a travel bass. Great for that, travels in a regular guitar bag. I had mine tuned to EADG with no problems using Rotosound Monel Flats. It was surprisingly well put together and was not a "child's toy" but a gigable bass. There are several other threads here where others talk about and show their performances using the Samick Greg Bennet MCR-1.

Here is one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564231.

I personally liked it better than the more popular Ibanez Mikro.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Those Corsairs look like they are solid.

Here's my version of a fun, light, small, couch bass:

[​IMG] BlackBassfishFinal(500).

Bassfish

16. TheEmptyCell

Is there a lot of string wrapped around the tuning peg? That's really the only thing keeping me from stringing mine standard, is I'm afraid I'll break the pegs.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    OMG I want one. I'd throw a .115 low E on there and rock the house.

\m/ (-_-) \m/

Actually, after some quick calculations,
    34" scale (.100, .080, .065, .045) = 25" scale (.145, .115, .090, .060) to keep the same tension and tune to standard bass tuning.

18. TheEmptyCell

I've been wanting to get another to modify for string-thru, with the anchors for the strings being set closer to the neck... the idea being that I'd put a set of strings, 130-60 (BEAD, in other words) or so, on and tuning it EADG... or just hacking up a cheapo Strat to see if it'd work.

19. Thast crazy a bass with a smaller scale length then a stratocaster