My Mirecourt Needs New Tuning Gears

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Ric Vice, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Hello All,
    I have a wonderful 5/8ths Mirecourt DB with gamba style shoulders on the upper bout and a open peg box. My tuning gears on the A and E string have gotten to the point where wear on the actual gears prevents them from seating at the correct place for setting the pitch of the strings. My luthier has cleaned the gears several times and changed the position of the string to compensate but alas they are "worn out".
    They are single french machines. Lemur has some beauties with wooden paddles that should fit. The ends of the tuning gear shafts are not visible on the outside of the box. What measurements should I be taking care to consider before I lay out the $500.00 for these gears. The G string is closest to the nut and will require a little longer shaft, that is available. The gears I'm enamored with are Rubners. Here's a picture

Attached Files:

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    it´s not an answer to your question, but:
    i would choose tuners in french style like this:
    [​IMG]
    the ones you choosed i´ve seldom seen on french basses.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    If it were my bass I'd lube the remaining good ones now before they get chewed up any more, then I'd take the worn ones to my friendly local machinist.

I'd rather have refurbished original parts than replacements but maybe that's just me.

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    +1

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Those are nice French tuner replacements. Any info available as to acquiring them?

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    i like them too, but only know them from the website of the german importer (they are made in china), never seen them in reality.
    http://www.iesta.de/en/index.htm
    click on "whats new"

edit: if you get some, please tell me if they are ok

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    They are available from Lemur, manufactured by Rubner. Jerry told me that they actually made gears for some of the instruments built in Mirecourt. I like the wooden ornaments on the "paddles ". Unfortunately, several of my gears are worn in the same way. The machinist idea does peak my interest as I would like to avoid any modifications to the peg box if possible but both the A and E string tuners are worn in a way that makes it very difficult to tune moving the strings to compensate isn't going to work for long because it's causing the gear to bind. Thanks everyone.

Ric

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Nope. The ones you posted are Rubners, the ones Bassist14 posted are not.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021