Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My MM5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darrenmt, Jan 10, 2005.

1. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Hi..I'm new here. This is an MM5 i acquired early last year. I ordered this one from Ernie Ball as I wanted the optional piezo pickup. Check out the fantastic maple board and a sweet vintage sunburst. Was dreaming about this baby for awhile and finally got her......she really blew my mind when i played her & got totally hooked. This ones a keeper...cheers :D

Attached Files:

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That's quite the looker you have there! I'm GASsing for something with a maple fretboard myself. :)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Beautiful bass! How does slap sound with the piezo pickup soloed and in concert with the humbucker?

4. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    With the piezo soloed I dun tend to slap on it as i find it sounds a little too brittle but great for fingerstyle with the bass knob rolled fully on & the mids and treble fully rolled off. But with the piezo and humbucks blended, my mm5 takes on a whole new character and has more of a 'hi-fi' sound usually associated with boutique basses. Alot more flexibility with this kind of setup and i love it. :bassist:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice bass, congrats.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Nice - I love the sunburst.

I have an SR5 with the rosewood neck but love the look of the maples.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great looking bass. Over the weekend I decided that whenever I spend a good chunk of money on a bass again, it will be a Musicman, probably a Stingray, but maybe a single pickup Bongo. I know that I said that the G&L L-2000/L-2500 is the most versatile and I stand by that statement, however, the Stingray really is my favorite sounding bass. More importantly, like the P-bass, the sound of the Stingray tends to sound good in any context to me, it's just a matter of how much treble one adds to it.

The Stingray sound, in addition to Ernie Ball's very high quality, make this the best mass produced bass for the money to me. I have owned a few in the past and I know what I'm getting. If I were to spend more, I could have gone for a Quantum 5 or 6, but in the under $1,500 category for a new bass, i think it's the best.

8. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Saaahhweeet! I'm aiming for an sr5 this year.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I have a SR5 ( rosewood )with the piezo also and it does add a whole new range of tonal options - great looking bass you have there - good luck

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I dig it. My Ray5 is nearly the same except-different burst [mine is a Cherry Burst] and i didn't get the piezo pickup. Nice looking bass and i am sure you will spend lots of time with it. That's all

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sexy!!

Welcome to TB!!

:hyper:

12. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Very sweet looking SingRay. I know you're loving it!!!

Mikey/

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Niiiiice!!!!!!!

Welcome to TB.

14. Nice bass man! I love the color. :)

15. Very, very nice, darrenmt.

Sunburst is my favorite finish, and Stingrays are one of my favorite basses, so I doubley like it! :bassist:

Enjoy!

Mike

16. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia
    Thanks guys....I'm glad there are alot of pple out there who dig stingrays. These babies definately live up to the hype.....cheers :bassist:

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    One of my dream basses (and just might be my next one!) is either a fretless MM5, unlined rosewood board, black with tortoiseshell p/guard... that, or a fretted MM5, maple board, cream with tort pickguard as well... Hot, HOT instruments!!

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I had an unlined fretless 5 in that vintage sunburst, and I can't find a photo of it ANYWHERE. It makes me sad, because those are really great basses.

Congrats!