1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My modded Marcus Miller Jazz [pics + review]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sorax, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I've shown this off a little bit around here, but I thought I'd give y'all a pictorial history so far. Here we go:

Pict1303.jpg

First. I have to say, I was blown away when I opened up the case for the first time. It was second hand, but in IMMACULATE condition. The grain looks amazing and the finish is perfect, photos don't do justice. I guess I got real lucky with this one.

Pict1307.jpg

Another early one.

Pict1452.jpg

After a while, I took off the pickup cover as I found it was getting in the way. The pickguard removal was purely an aesthetic thing.

Pict1484.jpg

Here she is with the Dimarzio Model J's installed.

Pict1487.jpg

And now, the current incarnation. Put on some Sadowsky knobs courtesy of TBer needmoney, and IMO they add a degree of class. Pickguard is back on.

Pict1506.jpg

Pict1508.jpg

Pict1511.jpg

So, what's next? First I have to update the rest of my gear; nice fretless 5er, a new amp (getting a combo. As I'll be studying bass at Uni next year I don't want a huge rig to lag around), and possibly a fretted 5er.

I'm thinking about changing the whole pickguard for a nice pearloid number. Also, I'd like to swap out the preamp at some stage as I'm finding the stock Fender unit is a bit clumsy.

All in all, I love this bass to death. With the switchable preamp it really is versatile - capable of old school passive Fender tone (the combination of 70s pickup spacing and swamp ash gives a real punch in the face with the bridge pup soloed), right through to clear, modern, hifi sounds.

The C-shaped neck feels perfect in my hands. It really is a great feeling neck.

The difference the Dimarzio pickups made was quite literally incredible. They make the stock pickups sound shallow and tinny - and for this bass, that's something. I'd recommend these pickups to anyone looking to upgrade this bass.

No, it's not a boutique bass. But for a production line bass that I payed less than half of retail for, I'm laughing. IMO, one of the best Fenders you can buy.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Peace!

2. The MM is always a player. Very fast neck.
    And I agree about the stock pre-amp, I'll swap it out.

3. Nice man! Did you enquire about the pickguard yet?

4. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've got that bass, with stock everything... what did the new pickups do for it and how much did they run? I was thinking about Bartolinis if theyd fit

5. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Not yet. Need all the cash I can get for the new amp atm. :meh:

Firstly, the Model J's are hum-cancelling. So I can solo either pickup and have no hum at all. They're dead quiet.

More importantly, however, my first impression was that they improved the depth and clarity of the sound significantly - without colouring it. The output is higher, and the adjustable pole pieces are nice to have.

Couldn't tell you a price, I got them secondhand too :p

I think that covers it.

6. Sweet, looks great. What's the tone like with the Dimarzios?

7. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    They've got a pretty transparent tone, which is good. They really bring out the sound of the Ash - nice growly lows :D . As I said before, with the bridge pup soloed it's like a punch in the face. With a full blend, it gives a nice round, full sound that's an absolute joy to slap on. Nice deep sound, and quite clear up the high end.

8. Wehmas

Wehmas

Oct 17, 2006
    Kotka, Finland
    Wow, she's sure a beauty.
    Wish I could have one too :)

9. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    :smug: Thanks.