1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my modded squier pbass special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by love4strings, Apr 2, 2015.

1. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Well this is my modded pbass special. The bass was okay but i had my wishes.

The things i did:
    - i got rid of the stock electrinics
    - changed the pickguard and added full shielding on the back of it
    - added a thugbar
    - installed marvel straplocks
    - installed dr. Highbeam strings
    - added a jazz neck pickup
    - installed a fender deluxe preamp with 3 band eq
    - added a serial/parallel switch for the jazz pickups
    - added a pickup switch (jazz/pbass/jazz+pbass)
    - added active/passive switch
    - added passive tone control
    - added jazz pan-pot
    - made a battery compartment on the back of my bass.

I came up with this setup by combining the pro's from the fender stu hamm urge ii and the fender deluxe series. Then i added the serial/parallel feature and the active/passive switch and passive tone control.

Attached Files:

shawshank72 and sleepyEDB like this.
  2. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    That's awesome. I assume you had to route out the control cavity some?

3. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Yes i did...

I needed quite some space for all the wiring, pots, switches and the preamp.

A little patience and steady hands to put it all in and here we are.

It took a few weeks to find all the genuine fender parts especialy the battery plate from the deluxe series. Also the concentric passive tone pot was hard to find because of the special value combination)

The tonal variety is GREAT!

Basicly i have a jazz and pbass in one... with tons of tonal options.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have an SX 5 downstairs I've long been meaning to do something similar to. Looks nice. :thumbsup:

5. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks bholder.

I build it because the urge ii was out of production. While designing the electronics i added features that the deluxe series and the urge dont have just for fun. But it turned out to be great.

Let me know how your project turns out.

What i still want to do is change the jazz blend pot for a concentric volume pot. Then i can change the volume of the jazz pickups independantly.

6. fingerandpick

fingerandpick

Jun 12, 2013
    Florida
    This is cool, does the new jazz neck pickup get in the way or make the bass uncomfortable to play at all? Does it mess with slapping?

7. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Its never in the way. You can use it as a thumbrest but it does not affect playing. You can try if it works for you by putting a piece of wood under your strings approximatly the size and height of a pickup. Just use a piecie of tape to hold it in place.

8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Very nice job! really cool looking bass with lots of tonal features. I guess I never understood the tug bar need unless you like playing with your thumb. I find it awkward at best.

9. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Just as you mention... i play with my thumb... learned to play like that on my old mans fender '72 pbass that has one.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    You did a fine job. Looks like one really cool and beautiful bass.

11. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Picked it up for a reasonal price and it plays and sounds great. But the body and neck cant compete with the '72 pbass :)

12. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Looks killer, love me some thugbar action ;)

sleepyEDB likes this.
  13. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Haha +1 for the thugbar!!!!!

14. sleepyEDB

sleepyEDB

Jul 31, 2014
    Metro Detroit
    Great job, and I admire that you did the work yourself.

sleepy

15. love4strings

love4strings

Apr 2, 2015
    Thanks i love to do these things. I also build my own midi hammond out of wo old organs but thats another story..

The most nervewrecking was cutting out the battery compartment... this was a one chance job haha i will post that outcome in a few days.