1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Modest, But Totally Groovy Dean Fretless EAB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leftka, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    I have been playing this Dean acoustic/electric fretless since I started playing a little over a year ago. It was cheap...like $200 cheap. I put a set of la bella tape wounds (so smooth and soft) on her in BEAD...that's the only change I made since I bought it. I just love playing this Bass. I have other electric basses, a gretsch electrromatic hollow body, a ray 34 fretless, an Ibanez short scale tallman and a luna tattoo, all good valiues for the money and all fun to play...but there is just something about this big boomy, full figured girl that just keeps bringing me back.
    the wide fret board (compares to a classical guitar fret board) is flat, with the thick BEAD strings that makes her very easy to play, even being super long scale. my style of play is very percussive, and while its work to hammer every note on her, she gives back such a unique sound. Granted, not for everyone, but it is my own unique sound.
    I play out on Wednesdays at a local Pub here in Naples, FL. My accompanist and I play blues, early rock and standards...listen to my big boomy girl as she goes for a jog on "you call it joggin', I call it runnin' around"...

bholder and rllefebv like this.
  2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nice groove! The gal behind you was definitely diggin' the vibe, and that looks like a pretty fun weekly gig!

-robert

Leftka likes this.
  3. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    thanks, and yes, definitely a very fun gig.

4. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    What's the harp guitar your pal is playing? Sounds excellent!

jaybones likes this.
  5. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    110 year old harp guitar. That is Andy Wahlberg...been a great mentor to me.

bholder likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    What is the scale length on that? And cool video, definitely has a great groove.

7. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    35" scale. and thanks

bholder likes this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been following Andy's harp guitar posts on Youtube - very cool you're playing with him! :cool: One of those weird "small world" things - "wait, I know that name". ;)

Leftka likes this.
  9. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    that is some small world stuff for sure. i started playing bass about a year ago. i had met andy just a little while before that and he asked if i wanted to play with him sometime. i knew two Elvis songs and a chuck berry tune. Andy was so supportive and encouraging. we really hit it off and enjoy our Wednesday gig together immensely. heres a playlist of some our stuff together...Live Performances - YouTube

bholder likes this.
  10. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, love my Breedlove AE FL AGB - great tone. I use mine for jazz, when I want to emulate a DB.

I notice you're not plugged in on your videos - that's monster sound considering it's strictly acoustic. Is the mic picking up your instruments or is the room just that live?

Leftka likes this.
  11. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    We are both plugged into that little PA...behind Andy. i'm always surprised at how good the gopro audio sounds there. maybe its all the wood on the floor, walls and ceiling.

bholder likes this.
  12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm sitting here watching the video wondering why the hell is this guy only hammering? Took me a minute to figure it out.

Great playing. Working with what you have better than plenty of people who have more. Well done.

Leftka, bholder and mrcbass like this.
  13. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow - nice job of hiding the cables!

Leftka likes this.
  14. Leftka

Leftka

May 4, 2017
    Naples, FL
    thank you for the kind words

15. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Cool!

If you're interested stop in and say hello

-------> Dean Club!!! <-----------

16. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Just wanted to add another positive note on these basses.

I've been playing for 45+ years, worked in music stores, played in bands, and have had many instruments. I just picked up a fretless Dean EAB and have to say, it's quite a bass for $200! Definitely the best deal I've seen in a while, and I wish they had something like this when I was starting out. Plays great, 35" scale, big sound, sounds good amplified, the whole bit. I heartily recommend this to anyone looking at an AEB and/or fretless bass in general.

Leftka likes this.
  17. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    One additional note: Be prepared to add some position markers of some type. There are fret lines, but no markers on either the fingerboard or edge. It's easy to get lost on that loooong fingerboard. :)

18. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I own the Dean Fretless EQAEB in Trans Black. No lines with dots on the side which are inbetween where the frets would be as if it were a fretted bass. It's the one on the left. Both have Aphex Circuitry
    IMG_7366.JPG

Leftka likes this.