Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My molded Fender case is a piece of crap!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi all - I just got a MIA standard Fender Precision yesterday - candy apple red with maple fretboard - fantastic bass. It came with a Fender "molded" hard shell case, and I was wondering if I just got a "lemon", or if all of these cases are just pieces of crap. On mine, none of the latches will latch unless you sit there and screw with it for about 5 minutes, getting the case shut and perfectly lined up or something. I have NEVER had problems with a case like this before.

Has anybody else had problems with new Fender cases like this?

Thanks - Skel

2. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    It sounds to me like you got a lemon. I would see no reason a new case would have any problems unless it was damaged in transit. I know that fender cases arent the best, but they certainly do work.

3. I just got a skb freedom case and it seems to be a pain in the butt to close, but my other case core flight case works like a dream but it costs twice as much so I guess you get what you pay for

4. Definitely a lemon. I've had 3 of them in various sizes, and they all closed easily and reliably. Take it back.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Does the case close easily without the bass in it? Is there a strap attached to the bass when you put it in the case? I have a MIA jazz and I must take the strap off the top part of the body and run it along the neck to close the case.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Guys - thanks a lot for the input here. I didn't think Fender would put their name on anything this bad. I'll take it back, open it up, and just have the sales guy shut it for me. I'm sure he'll make an embarrassing beeline to the back of the store and get me another one.

Skel

7. that sounds like a good idea. mine works great.

8. I used a Fender moulded case with no probs for ten years. The case is screwed.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its not a rare problem, but its not the way it should be either.

Go get the case switched with a good one.

10. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have two and they both are like this to some extent.

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    same
    or at least I had one for a little while before...
    and now have a new one...
    and it's an adventure to get them to close correctly.

12. mine can be annoying at times, but never bad enough to make me think theres something wrong with it, looks like you got a bad case

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Buy a nice gig bag and throw the case in the river LOL

Rob

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Pretty Crappy!!

It got to the point that it would amost open and close easier from the hing side. Twards the end it had so much Duct Tape on it I was often mistaken for a Raider's Fan!!
    It DID smell wonderful, I wish I would have saved a scrap of the velvetine to keep with me always.

15. Sorry, I don't know anything about the case, but congratulations on the new bass!

We need some pictures!

16. the molded "guitar research" case i have is like that, maybe its a thing with molded cases, or maybe its the fact mine doesnt close cus its dented in about 2 inches at points around the aluminium rim

TKL (i think thats the maker) have great hardcases

17. AlexL

AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    Minnesota
    I went to Guitar Center to buy a case for a bass I had purchased there a few months earlier. I told the salesman (a great guy who ALWAYS gives me heavily discounted prices) I wanted a molded case, and he would not sell me one. He said they just were not good cases, and I would have problems closing it.

To prove his point, he showed me some brand new Fender molded cases for some stratocasters they had just got in, and they were a mess. He sold me a G&G style hard case instead, which I never had problems with.

I later sold that bass and bought a Roscoe. Now THERE'S a neat case. :D

- E.