Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Mom had a stroke...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Deppel, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Just got off the phone with my Dad, and apparently my mom had a stroke yesterday (Wednesday) and was hospitalized for it.

This past Sunday, my mom had a coughing attack brought on by the flu she's been fighting for about the past week. She went into the bathroom to take some cough medicine, and the next thing she knew, she couldn't move her right arm, and she was drooling. It stopped after a few seconds, and she wrote it off as something brought on by the coughing attack. On Tuesday, she had the same thing happen, brought on again by a coughing attack. So she again though it was something brought on by the coughing (Bear in mind that my mom is also a RN with a Masters).

Then yesterday, while my mom was watching the evening news with my Dad, she couldn't move her right arm or speak, and this time it wasn't preceded by a coughing attack, so my Dad took her to the ER. They immediatly took her up to Community Medical Center in Missoula, MT so she could be seen by a Neurologist who specializes in strokes. So far, they can't find a cause for the stroke, though they do believe it was an embolitic stroke. They think it may have been caused by the massive drug cocktails she's been taking for her Rheumatoid Arthritis she was diagnosed with a little over a year ago. Earlier today, she spoke with a Speech Pathologist and a Physical Therapist, and there doesn't seem to be any residual effects.

This is just really freaking me out. I'm only 22 and almost lost my Mom last nite. It also doesn't help being 1500 miles away from home right now.

I just needed some time to vent...Thanks for any prayers/thoughts.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that is never easy to hear. Unfortunately, I have lot of the same kind of stuff going on around me. I sure hope that it turns out to be okay, and she won't have to worry about that kind of thing happening again. With a lot of prescriptions, too, that can cause problems. They may know that Vicodin and tylenol don't mix, or Relafen anti-inflammatory doesn't mix with aspirin, but with such a large combination of medicines, the outcome is very unpredictable. I hope also that the arthritis doesn't bother her so much, either. I'll definitely be saying a prayer for you and your family.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm a speech pathologist. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. I hope that your mother makes a strong and speedy recovery. It may take a few days for the full effects of the stroke to really sink in but then the healing may begin. It may be quick and it might take even years for her rehab. It varies depending on the severity, placement in the brain, and numerous other individual health factors. It sounds like she was having some mini-strokes (TIA's) where a small clot of some type will block up a blood vessel, giving the same results as a stroke, but then pass often prior to a bigger one. These are a good indicator that someone is at risk for stroke. I know you said your mom is an RN but denial and even the TIA itself might make it quite hard to recognize in one's self. It was good that they seem to have gotten her to the hospital quickly when she had the actual stroke. That can be the difference between life and death or make recovery hoefully much quicker vs. making recovery harder.

Some things you might see in the next few weeks can range from difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), difficulty with her understanding (receptive aphasia) and use (expressive aphasia) of language, problems with problem solving/reasoning, decreased voluntary oral motor contol (apraxia), and/or overall weakness of one (or both) side of the body that makes her speech slurred or strangled sounding (dysarthria).

Even if the problems she has a very severe at first, they may improve drastically as swelling diminishes and therapy does its thing. Her progress may be much slower too as I said above. No one will no for sure unfortunately. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and again, I hope that all goes well for your mother...

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Good luck to your mom bro... hope she recovers well and well you be safe too...

5. I'm sorry to hear that.
    My father had a stroke on christmas eve. He fell down the stairs at night. I was awake, and called the ambulance. I dunno what the word is in english, but he had a "brain-bleeding", caused from untreated high blood-pressure.
    He's been on hospital and rehab ever since, but now he's at home for the weeken. He just managed to walk again last week - on his own!

It is indeed very hard to get trough something like this. Feel free to ask if you have any questions...Although I'm not even close to being an expert, I've studied it deeply the last few months, and I also have first hand experience with the situation...

Good luck with the recovery...

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi John, my mom had something similar happen to her a while back, she's 82 and in decent health for her age, but there's a history of stroke in her family, both her sisters had one, and it seems my mom had what they call a "mini-stroke", which is basically a temporary clot that eventually dissolves itself. Embolism is the same way, it's possible there's some recovery. I sure hope so. My mom has recovered considerably, since her original set of symptoms, but she was in really bad shape when we took her to the hospital, she had what they call "expression aphasia", meaning that it was entirely clear her mind was working, we could see that, but she couldn't express herself, she couldn't formulate sentences, and the words were coming out funny. And she'd mix up several different languages at a time in her speech (she speaks five or six, including German, French, and Spanish). But after several days' rest in the hospital, her symptoms began to alleviate themselves, and eventually she seemed to be okay. But it was a big hit, that much we can tell. Now she's taking "minimal" meds to keep her cholesterol down, and her blood relatively thin. The doctors are brilliant these days, and they know a lot. Trust them, but don't let them do anything outrageous. They wanted to put a catheter into my mom's heart, and insert a tube down her gut so they could take pictures of her heart from below, and do a Doppler ultrasound on her carotid artery (which is very risky, if there are any clots in there, they could easily dislodge and travel up to her brain) stuff like that. We nixed all that, and opted for a simple regimen of "minimal" drug therapy coupled with regular exercise. Anyway, I wish you and your mom the best. I wish your mom a postiive outcome and the best of luck. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. I'm glad to hear that there are no residual effects from the stroke.

This may be of little comfort to you, but in my psychology text book, they talked about a woman who had a massive stroke and made a full recovery, to this day you couldnt tell she had one. God willing, your mom will be the same way!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

John

Please know my prayers and thoghts are with your Mom and you. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Hemorrhagic stroke.

Stroke incidence is actually pretty high all over. It's an awful thing for a family to go through. :meh:

I'm here if any of you need me...

10. Yeah, John, I hope your mom makes a fast and complete recovery.

Same for your dad, Norwegianwood.

Mike ;)

11. So sorry to hear, John :(

best of luck to her and to a speedy recovery! :)

12. Sorry to hear that, man. My thoughts are with you.

13. John and Nor, my prayers are with your parents.

14. Just got off the phone with my mom, and she seems completely fine. Couldn't even tell that she had a stroke. She also told me that the reason she didn't think anything of the first TIAs that she had was that what she experienced during them are also classic signs of hypoxia, a shortage of oxygen to the brain, which can be caused by severe coughing.

Starting Monday, my mom is going to start a more effective exercise program, and she's also going to start some Behavioral Modification Therapy and Stress Management in order to relieve the enormous amount of stress that her current job places on her. She says hopefully this will lower the likelihood of subsequent strokes, and if not, she's going to start looking for a new job.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers, and all the support. It really helped me. This is one of the reasons I really like TalkBass, we're like family here.

15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    That's awesome John, keep us posted! :hyper:

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm glad to hear your mom is doing okay John, that's great news. I hope she'll continue to recover, and guard herself against further incidents. That "exercise" thing really helps, and it's also important to ramp up "slowly". When one is under a lot of stress, one often tries to be "Superman" (or woman), and that kind of acceleration can be dangerous. We had to slow my mom way down, she was constantly doing stuff, but in a somewhat random and haphazard manner. Now she's on a "regimen", that introduces some consistency and stability in her life. It seems to be working pretty well. I wish you and your mom continued good health and well being.

17. MAJOR METAL

John
    Hows your Mom ?

18. She's 100% OK. Ive called her up and chatted with her several times since the stroke, and she sounds perfectly fine...can't even tell she had a stroke. She's starting her new excercise plan and everything else next week, so we'll see how that goes...I hope it helps prevent further strokes.

19. MAJOR METAL

Glad to here it John. :)

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

The same.