My mom has gone crazy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ((ZASDER)), Mar 29, 2005.

1. ((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    She wakes me up at 9 and goes im going to buy a new car...I was half a sleep so im said whatever...2 hours later she comes home with a chevy cobalt

Do most people choose a car in 2 hours on the first day of looking...No offense to my mom but I dont know if it suits her...her last car the one she is attached to is a 85 chevy stationwagon that only has 45,000 miles on it...and shes had it since 86...They only gave her 200 dollars for it.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Is she crazy for waking you up at 9 or buying the car?

I personally wouldn't be caught dead in a Chevy dealership but as long as she did some sort of research or didn't get taken for an extra couple hundred for blinker fluid service then there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd be willing to wager she already had her heart set on a new Cobalt, though.
  3. Is it just me or the Cobalt looks very much like a Cavalier with a new name? :eyebrow:
  4. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    It's not you, that's what it looks like, and the new GTO looks like a Grand Am with 400HP
  5. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Apparently they are offering both the Cavalier and the Cobalt for '05 with sedan and coupe. Specs are similar, but the Cobalt looks bigger.
  6. Well, obviously the Cobalt is the Cavalier's successor, but supposedly is more aimed at the tuner crowd (as preposterous as that sounds)...and my daily driver is a Chevy.
  7. ((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY

She didnt have her heart set on it...she didnt even know what chevy had to offer. She just went there and choose a car that was new and the salesperson showed her first.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    3 little words... Mid Life Crisis.
  9. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

It could have been a Corvette, then you wouldn't be posting about how nuts the old lady was now would you?

10. i dunno as much as i hate chev (more of a honda guy myself) i think this is a pretty hot looking car
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm guessing the cobalt is FWD and under powered right?

Looks like a cavalier to me. Maybe your mom had all this thought through before hand, and she just woke you for the main event.

Mid life crisis??? since when do women have mid life crisis? and buy econoboxes?
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nobody is allowed to make me up at 9, even for a car.
    Two exceptions though :
    - for giving me a new bass,
    - Monica Bellucci knocking at my door... :p

Back to the topic : when your mom saw the Chevrolet, she probably had something we all know well here : GAS.

Are we all crazy ?

Well, finally.......... :D

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I would buy a car in 2 hours. 2 hours would diffenetly give me enough time to find my brother and dad to look at to make sure I'm not getting ripped off:D
  14. I wish I could decide in 2 hours!!!! New car shopping drives me nuts :hyper: I guess the Madison ave. admen did there job!
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

yup again, but 400HP makes it ok.
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    GM is in the middle of replacing some of its older and/or, under performing vehicle lines with newer and much improved product. As that process occurs, several of the products are being renamed to emphasize the fact that they are indeed different, and not just a re-hash of the previous product. Remember the Cadillac Catera? It was replaced by the Cadillac CTS. Same size and same market segment, totally differently and vastly superior car.

The Chevrolet Cobalt is replacing the Cavalier, but it is a much different and much better car. All they really have in common is size, FWD, and Chevrolet. If you saw the two side by side, the differences would be ridiculously apparent. I drove a Cobalt LT from November through early March. Really nice for a compact. It can compete head on with Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla wrt quality, performance, and bang for the buck.

Other examples:

• Buick LaCrosse (Allure in Canada) replacing Buick Regal & Century
    • Buick LuCerne replacing Buick LeSabre
    • Pontiac G6 replacing Pontiac Grand Am
    • Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon replacing Chevy S10 & GMC S15

There's a few more similar "transitions" on the way as the GM product lines get updated.

FWIW - When I'm not fat-fingering retro-funk basslines, I'm working on GM product portfolios and hybrid vehicles.

Just a fortunate Pontiac family resemblance. The GTO and the Grand Am couldn't be further apart mechanically. GTO is a RWD V8 engined platform. The Grand Am is a FWD based on 4 and V6 engines. The designers wanted the GTO to have a decidely Pontiac feel to it, so that's probably where the Grand Am resemblance comes from. Oddly enough, the Chevrolet SSR hotrod truck is closer mechanically to a Chevrolet Trailblazer SUV than the GTO is to the Grand Am.

Attached Files:

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    No offense to your mom, but she got taken on her trade. If it was running and in reasonable condition she could have gotten much more for it by selling outright. If she was in that big of a hurry, they probably got her on the sales price of the Cobalt. Have someone look that deal over. She should still be able to take it back. Also, check the BBB for complaints against that dealership.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Maybe an 85 wagon would be in good shape in Alabama, but in Buffalo (the road salt capital of the world) it was probably a rotbox. Unless it was in ultra clean condition, $200 was a gift.
  19. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Oops, didn't look at where they were from. Was it in good shape or a POS?
  20. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Didn't notice until Mike N's post that you are in Buffalo.

I grew up there, went to Calasanctius (no longer exists), Bennett High, played hockey at Front Park under the Peace Bridge (wearing a parka under my uniform) and across the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie. My folks still live there, so I get back that way a few times a year.

Airport Music is pretty cool. GC is GC.