1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My mom's got diabetes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I think it may be time to cut my Dew intake.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Better now than never. My father was diagnosed with borderline diabetes a couple of years ago. It tends to run in my family, so it won't be too long for me, either.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Type 1 or 2?

4. Adult-onset, so whichever type was that.

My mom: "I GOTS THE SUGAZ!" :rollno:

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Sorry to hear about it. Luckily, we have a pretty good understanding of diabetes these days. It runs in my family as well. I need to quit drinking so much soda, and start excercising.

6. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I've heard that they've recently come up with an insulin inhaler. That's pretty cool for diabetics so they don't have to stick themselves so often.

7. I'm on a medication for some unrelated health issues that radically suppresses my appetite, to the extent that I only really eat one meal a day (usually a burrito from one of the many local taquerias). I'm not sure if I need to cut out that much sugar.

One thing's for certain, though: my water intake's gonna go up.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not to diminish anything, I really would love to have some kind of appetite supressant! That would probably help me a bunch!

Anyways, just remember to keep her checking her blood sugar. And, be sure you know what to do if she zonks out with low blood sugar.

9. Well, if she zonks out because of either excess or insufficient blood sugar, I'm 1900 miles away. (My folks are in McHenry, and I'm in Los Angeles.) Presumably my dad's the one who'll need the education on that subject.

Trevorus: are you at UIUC? My brother's an alumnus, and fully 1/3 of every graduating class at my high school (IMSA) goes there.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Nope, not at UIUC yet. My wife is finishing up her nursince licensure, and after that, I'll probably go to community college to finish my pre-reqs and then x-fer to UIUC to do electrical engineering.

I want to build audio equipment and such.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about a year and a half ago. The oral med I take does indeed kill my appetite, so I have lost weight which helps the disease.

Diabetes is a strange thing - it does different things to different people. Not one treatment or approach fits all. Can be VERY frustrating because you're doing everything right and your glucose readings are no good.

The most important thing to remember is that you don't manage it, it will manage you. It can be managed but it takes a lot of patience and focus. Do whatever you can do to help you mom keep that focus and to not get down if things go awry from time to time.

A couple of homeopathic supplement things they're finding to work - cinnamon and chromium. For some reason they seem to boost cells sensitivity to insulin.

The other essential is to get some moderate exercize every day.

Good luck & don't give up!

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Soda is some great stuff unfortuently the body does not like too much of it , Poland Spring is my favorite substitution.

13. Peter, sorry to hear about your mom, but hopefully she won't have too many complications. ;)

Trevorus, I used to drink an average of 4 or 5 cans of soda per day!

That was until August 2004, at which time I heard a report on the radio that JAMA* had just completed a study which concluded that there is a direct link between high soda intake and diabetes.

That was enough for me; within a week I restricted myself to one can per day. With few exceptions I've adhered to my self-imposed limit.

Why tempt fate?

Mike
    * Journal Of The American Medical Association