my most important "amp" purchase ever

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    So, next week I'm testing out by far what will be the single most important "amp" purchase I will EVER make.

This system (stereo BTW) is with out argument is the BEST investment I will EVER make and will be the single most important piece in my rig.

So far, after every high-end piece of gear, from amps and cabs, this is one is the one that will impact my tone far, FAR greater than ANY other piece of equipment I have owned. And I'll go as far as saying it is the most important that I will ever own.

I'm posting from my BlackBerry right now, so I'll post up a pic in a few if I can.

For me this is a big purchase that will impact me as a player far more than any other..........(I'll try some pics in a second.)

See if this works....
    hearing+aids.jpg

Yeah, found out today that my hearing has reached the point of me needing hearing aids in both ears.

Where ear plugs guys (and gals)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Oh man...sorry to hear that, Mike. I've subjected my ears to a goodly amount of torture as well, and even though I don't anymore, I've definitely lost high end, and my perfect pitch abilities have deteriorated a little. The feedback is where the real damage happened, I think. Who knows? I may be next for hearing aids. Not a good thing to expose yourself to insane volume, for sure.

3. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    IN ear monitors make sense

4. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    This isn't strictly from playing loud. This is something that could be a hundreds different things. Playing loud I'm sure didn't help though!
    They didn't find "damage" as to where something like your high end being gone. This is more along the lines of just overall hearing loss. I don't have tinnitus (sp) and my high end hasn't disappeared. Well it has, but not like the "classic" musicians ears.
    My doctor is also a musician (which I wanted) and what I have going on isn't that. It's just I'm loosing my hearing overall.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not signing up for sign-language classes anytime soon. But I'm at that point to where things won't get any better, but will get worse as I get older. So to restore my hearing to where it "should be" I need hearing aids. I can now turn down the TV and not have to ask my wife to repeat herself a lot.

I get to "demo" them next week. They have to program in the setting for me and fit them.
    So, on Tuesday, things will sound a lot different!!!

5. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Wow Mike,
    you are definitely in my prayers brother.
    Not that you have, but overall we take sight and sound for granted, along with other physical activities and attributes we have been blessed to possess. Nevertheless, I will be in agreement with you that there be no further deterioration, and recovery with good care.

Blessings!

6. I'm sorry for the bad news Mike. my dad's hearing is going out the window, and since I take after him a lot I'm nervous that I have it in the cards as well. Back when I was playing really loud I always wore earplugs but I still managed to shed a noticable amount of my high end hearing.

That is the first piece of advice I'd give anyone just buying their first stack, pick up a set of nice, at least ~$20 earplugs along with it. If you have the cash to buy a stack you have the cash to protect your ears from it.

Good luck with it all Mike, is it so bad that you NEED them to hear or are you still able to do pretty good without them? My dad has earing aids but he never uses them :D

7. Mike,

Please keep us posted on this new adventure. I too seem to be asking people to repeat themselves a little more often......

8. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Yeah, I'll be wearing them pretty much constantly from what I've been told thus far.

Actually, it isn't so much as "bad" news as I thought it would be.
    It just is.
    At least that's kinda how I feel about it now anyway.

I won't get on a religious rant, but in a more "general" view, it makes you aware of how precious thing that are close to you really are.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Been there, done that AND gone digital! You read post on this forum from folk who are playing so loud that they are blowing cabinets and amps both. I just wonder how much longer these players are going to be able to play before their ears give out.

Paul

10. premiumplus

premiumplus

Aug 11, 2009
    My ears took their abuse at Lion's drag strip in Southern California, in the early 1960's, hanging on the chain link fence 20 feet from the starting line, watching Don "The Snake" Prudhomme vs. Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen square off in Top Fuel Dragsters...I have no idea how many decibels I exposed myself to every Saturday night, but I do remember my ears ringing all day Sunday. AAH, to be bulletproof again...and to be able to hear above 2500 Hz...I wish, I wish I had used ear protection.
    Young 'uns, take heed!

11. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I feel for you man. I'm 26 and can't hear normal conversation if there is any background noise. In my case it's from shooting SMAWS and machine guns without adequate ear pro, but still... Not fun. :(

12. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul.

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Mine started going from years of packing a nail gun around construction sites and blasting away at any two pieces of wood that were touching.

One of the few good things I can identify about television is its fairly consistent modeling of the use of hearing protection for common tasks such as lawn mowing. Next generation will likely be ahead of us when they reach this point. Meantime I seek the grace and acceptance shown by MikeBass. Thank you for the post.

13. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There aren't that many of us who would know who Don Prudhomme is.
    Maybe 4 of us. But yeah, those races were
    like standing behind a DC-8 on takeoff.

Good luck Mike.

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I built some Revell models of their dragsters and funny cars. Great rivalry!

I used to go some Grand Prix races, freaking loud but nowhere near drag racers.

15. My hearing as tested by my employer shows it is 40db down at around 1500 hz. (Maybe a little from playing guitar at super loud volumes) This is from years of exposure on job sites, where safety used to be a swear word. (I've worked construction for 34 years) The rest is normal, thank goodness.

Always wear ear plugs, boys and girls. Always.

16. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I'll grab my test and post up the results.
    But it looked like someone was doing the classic "scoop" on their EQ. LOL!!
    That combined with an already overall loss, made them point out that I wasn't hearing to well!! LOL!!!

The doctor said you compensate without knowing it. Like looking directly at someone's mouth when they are speaking. Something I've always been told I do from when I was young- Always complimented on looking at someone when they speak to me.
    Actually helped me in an interview because the interviewer commented afterwards that she was impressed that she knew I was paying attention because I always was looking at her when she spoke. (well, she was kinda hot, so yeah!!!)
    Never knew it, but I did it so I could understand someone when they are speaking.
    Always sat in the front of the class (the "hot zone").
    TV always a little loud.
    Can't hear someone talking when there is excessive background noise.
    Or CAN understand them because I can see their mouth.
    That's just some simple examples that we talked about, but there are many more as well.
    Weird because I'm 40 and JUST now had a pretty extensive hearing test.
    Should have done this 10 years ago!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021