1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My most recent session experience (music included.)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheBasicBassist, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Hey all,

So two Thursdays ago, I got called for a session with an artist that I had done a small handful of gigs with over the past month: Angie Atkinson. We recorded the entire 5-song EP that weekend at Sabella Studios, I've recorded everywhere from the nicest NYU studios to some of the DINGIEST basements, and Jim's studio was, by far, my favorite; the place is built into his house, and definitely has that homey vibe, and it's big enough that we were able to track all of the basics live.

Musically, it was a great experience for me, as this has been one of only a handful of sessions where I hadn't heard the songs, or had them long enough to write for them. None of them took more than 3 takes, and I'm really happy with how them came out, and how unrushed they felt, even though we were feeling the burn, recording all of this in less than 14 hours. Now, without further ado, the music:

http://angieatkinson.bandcamp.com/album/double-or-nothin

Also, I'd be interested to know what bass y'all think I played on it, just for fun. :) I ran through a B-15 (head only) into an Avalon Tube DI with the tone knob wide-open (at Jim's request.)

Easy,
    John

2. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    The track sounds really Good! I am listening on my laptop speakers right now and gotta say I could not hear any bass, but I will take a listen with headphones later on.

3. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Thanks, buddy! Really appreciate the listen. :)

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Anybody care for some inexpensive, high-quality music? Leave some love!

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Good stuff!

I bought the EP download. That counts as love. :bassist:

6. f64

f64

Oct 31, 2009
    Nice! As far as what bass you were using - I'm at a loss. I stripped your track and played it back through my McIntosh but I'm still at a loss. Almost sounds like a P but not certain. It was funny when I first played it through the computer speakers because my connection speed was going up and down and it made it sound like you were playing behind the music. That was different. I see she has dates set. I know a few of those venues but there's some serious distance between them. All good stuff - Great job!

7. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Thanks so much, Ewo! I'm glad that you're enjoying the music! :bassist:

Man, you have a fancier setup than I! If enough people get interested in it then I'll reveal the bass in a few days - I think it may get me some looks from the TB crowd. :)

Her solo tour is definitely stretching far and wide, she's hiring out acoustic guitarists all along the way and just doing her thing. Thank you so much for giving it a listen, f64!

Easy,
    John

8. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Bump.. ump.. mp.. p..