My mostly hand tool bass project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clef360, Nov 4, 2003.

1. So yeah i started this project over a month ago, but i stopped working on it for a few weeks. Started working on it today and I figured that if I post pics, I'll be more motivated to do more so I can share it with everyone. Anyways, the only power tools I've used so far are a dremel, power drill, and jigsaw. The body is solid maple and the neck is also maple.

before i started working today:

as you can see, i messed up on the gluing a little, but that glue line can be sanded off if i want to finish it in natural (it'll probably be some solid color).
  2. after a few hours of chiseling today:
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Looks pretty good so far. It's still really early, I guess, but I like the basic body shape. What specifically is going to be the final design (i.e. finish, pickguard, pup config etc.)?
  4. wow, that was a fast reply. I'm gonna clean out the pocket and do a lot more shaping soon. I'm undecided on all that other stuff, but there's gonna be at least a p style pup in there. I think i'm shooting for j/p/mm/j, but we'll see.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Hey that is a great start. Keep up the good work!
  6. It's just two slabs of wood, but I already have GAS. God I'm pathetic...
  7. at this point I'm thikning i'll burst the top and paint the sides and back black. The back is pretty ugly...
  8. Dude, that would be sweet! I say go for it :D Or atleast a J/MM/J (I'm not the biggest fan of P pups...but that's just me). So, what wood are you using? It's looking good man, keep it up!
  9. it's all maple. i'm only including the P style pups cuz i happen to have an extra set.
  10. Well, just because you have an extra set lying around, doesn't mean you should just drop it in. If it is your kind of sound, go for it, but otherwise, if it really isn't, I say go for the ones you really want.

Sweet choice on all maple. What neck is that? (Can't read the writing on the headstock).
  11. it's a cheap lotus. i'm in the process of designing a new logo to paint over the headstock
  12. Ahhh, cool dude. Keep it up, it's looking very good!
  13. Good start. Sounds like a fun learning process.

Just clean up the sides w/ some sanding. Gonna buy some tools for the next one? ;) A good router would do wonders prolly.