My mother hearing Fly By Night by Rush for the first time

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Richland123, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I was driving with my mother a few days ago and I had the local rock radio station on. Fly By Night by Rush came on and the song was almost over and my mother said, "She can't sing". To which I replied, "That's a guy" She said, "Well, he can't sing either and it sounds like a woman".

2. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I can see where she might make that assumption, gender wise that is

3. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Your mother is right.

4. I was very much a Rush fan during the Fly by Night/Caress of Steel/2112 era. My Dad walked into my bedroom one afternoon while "Lakeside Park" was playing on my mighty Sansui 5900. I asked him: "doesn't that sound great?" To his credit he stood there in the doorway for about a minute before gently answering "no".

5. Geddy Lee's singing is an acquired taste....like Lemmy. Once the overall musicianship is appreciated then you can sort look past the unusual timber and tone of his voice.

6. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    My wife had much the same response to Geddy. I tried to explain, but... :rollno:

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    It's no secret chicks don't dig Rush. They also have notoriously crappy taste in music. Usually.

8. I never been to a Rush concert. Just curious, for those who have attended, what would you estimate the male vs. female ratio at a typical concert?

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Tis' a sausage fest brother.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Hey ... that's no Michael Boulton song ....

Michael-Bolton-Soul-of-my-Soul.jpg

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Here's a little tip from 70's High School:

Guys dig Rush. Chicks dig Journey.

Everybody digs Led Zeppelin.

12. Very true. Most of the people I know who don't like Rush tell me it's because of Geddy's voice. One of my friends loves Rush if I play any instrumental song. He loves La Villa, Leave That Thing Alone, Main Monkey Business, etc. He thinks YYZ is one of the best songs ever. However, he hates any Rush song with vocals. He said Geddy "sings like a martian" (whatever that means :confused:)

13. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    FWIW, my fiance loves Rush to death. Well, anything from Moving Pictures on that is. On the flipside, she can tolerate Megadeth at least until Dave Mustaine starts "singing". She does the funniest impression of his vocals on "Symphony of Destruction".

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    What's the opposite of sausage fest? Taco fest?

That's what I'd imagine a Michael Bolton concert to be, anyway.

I went more Rush concerts than any other band, from the day Caress of Steel came out, right up until around the time of Hemispheres... then it got too crazy for me. If I remember correctly they had some girls following them around in the early days.

15. I actually gut punched my friend when he said he didn't like Geddy's voice. Mind you, we were listening to Temples of Syrinx on the Time Machine Tour 2011 where he was sick and his voice didn't produce clear words well enough. Thank God I showed him TMT version, not the 2112 album version...

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm buying tickets to a Michael Bolton show first thing tomorrow. :D

17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Last time I went to Rush, it was about 70/30.

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Caress of Steel is my favorite Rush album. My first band used to do No One at the Bridge.

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Your mother has a good ear and knows what she's talking about (at least when it comes to Rush). Love her and respect her.

20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Man that picture just creeps me out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021