Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Music Filled Weekend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by malthumb, Jun 19, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Spent all this past Saturday and Sunday at the Smooth JazzFest outside of Detroit. Here's a quick recap of who I saw and some of my thoughts on some of the bassists.

SATURDAY
    Down To The Bone These fellas jammed. I expected Paul Turner on bass. Instead it was Julian Crampton , who I most recently saw with Incognito. He played an orangeburst F bass. I think the same one he had when I saw him with Incognito last year.

Jonathan Butler First time I've seen him live. Puts on a great show. Jimmy Earl was on bass. Played a creme colored J- Bass. He had this strange habit of licking his fingers like every 10 seconds.

Rick Braun One of the two or three best sets of the weekend was trumpeter Rick Braun and his band. Polished act. His bassist, a young guy named Sharay (sp?) Reed from Chicago played a sunburst 5 string J bass. This guy was solid. Excellent tone.

Boney James Again one of the two or three best sets of the weekend. Larry Campell was totally the man. By far the best bassist on Saturday. Played a 5 string Fodera (Emperor I think). He led the band and had an incredible stage presence, including great backing vocals. He and saxophonist Boney James seemed to be locked mentally.

Peace,

James

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    SUNDAY

I should mention that during the entire JazzFest, artists were making themselves available to autograph CDs after their sets. Since they were so accessible, I brought my 6 string with me on Sunday and got it signed by Gerald Veasley and Nathan East

Gerald Veasley Gerald played a 6 string Ibanez and just totally showed out. His playing looked so effortless that it was scary. His latest CD has a cover of Stevie Wonder's Do I Do . He brought down the house with it Sunday afternoon. He showed a lot of interest in my Hanewinckel.

Guitars & Saxes This was a really cool set. Four different solo acts basically shuttled in and out, playing some of their most popular hits and often collaborating on each others' hits. Guitars were Jeff Golub and Marc Antoine. Saxes were Warren Hill and Richard Elliott. I think the band was Richard Elliot's touring unit. The bassist, Ronnie Garritts was from Atlanta and played a blue Warwick 5 string with a sweetspot soapbar. He also had a black Warwick 5er with two jazz pickups that was apparently just for backup.

fourPlay Nathan East in the house, so you know I'm there. Nathan gave equal time to his white 5 string and off white 6 string Yamaha Signature basses. Speaking of signatures and basses, when I asked him to sign mine, Harvey Mason was sitting next to him and kept saying "Nathan, if it ain't one of yours you shouldn't sign it. Don't do it." He was kidding, of course, but it was a funny moment. I was a little dissappointed at first in the set, because the sound techs had the sound all screwed up. Nathan's vocals and Bob James' piano were both mixed too loud and Nathan's bass and Harvey Mason's drums were mixed too low. Took three songs to get it right.

Al Jarreau Al Jarreau closed out the show. The band opened up by playing Teen Town as Al walked onto the stage. Cool. More sound problems. A sax solo in the first number may as well have been done by Marcel Marceau. Al's bassist, Chris Walker , was a lefty playing a Steinberger headless bass. He also appeared to be the bandleader and had absolutely incredible vocals. Ranging from a nice baritone to a near Philip Bailey falsetto. He had the difficult task of figuring out where Al was going next and bringing the band along for the ride. If you've ever seen Jarreau in concert you know what I'm talking about.

What a weekend. And on the way home I found out that WAR and The Brothers Johnson are both expected to perform at Detroit's version of a 4th of July TasteFest. Free concert. I'm there.

Peace,

James

3. Man, that's some line-up! I've been getting into Mr. Veasley lately, and yes I heard his version of Do I Do; this is what perked up my ears. He plays an Ibanez? Cool with me; just don't tell some of the other guys. :D

Jazz is it. ;)

Mike J.