Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Music Man HD130 has arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Apr 19, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Thanks to TBer Ben Clarke for shipping it out, and packaging it to survive a nuclear winter! :smug:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only got to play it for 15 minutes or so, but so far so good. It's got LOADS of clean headroom, much moreso than my bassman or Sunn. I wanted this because I can use this to drive my folded horn while using my sunn for the mids & highs. It sounds alot like my bassman, except a LOT more clean headroom, and tighter bass. Actually more bass, with less speaker flapping. You can't even tell the preamp is solid state until you start clipping. Proof that the tone is in the power tubes. ;) I think it's a keeper for now. :)

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    badass. congrats.

3. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    *waits for the stack to fall over*

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Good point, i'll probably put the heads on a chair or something when i'm gigging, that way I can knock the stack over without damaging the heads.

5. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Glad you're digging it so far... I must say you were very patient.

I can't imagine how loud that must be with both the pre and master dimed. I don't think I had the pre above 2 or 3 with the master at 8 or 9. And this at full range! You weren't kidding when we were talking horn cabs & mentioned "lots more" volume.

I"d guess your Bassman will do me fine power wise then!

Anyhow, it looks to be right at home. And "nuclear winter"?! Hell, I'm from Western NY! We call that "Tuesday"!

6. Congrats, I'm sure you'll be happy with it

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That is too danged cool!

Congrats!

O.k., we got the pics, where are the clips?

:D

Joe.

8. Dang, 10 on the volume? Master, yes. But both? This amp is about tone. It is great for distortion but that is accomplished by putting it on low power and bringing the volume knob to 6-7 and the master on 3-4. I've had my MM about 30 years and I don't recall it ever being up past 5 with master dimed. Using it with my Acoustic 301 18" it would rattle bottles off of their shelves in bars, I kid you not. Now the deep switch on & bass on 10 I have done but only at moderate levels. Well, to each his own. It's a great head enjoy it! Oh, and make sure you get the 4-8 ohms switch right. At those levels it won't leave much room for error.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wow, that looks nice. Congrats!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am not familiar with the HD130. Can you tell us a bit about it? I gather it has a ss pre and tube power section. Interesting...

11. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Dude, looks great, but you should really put on a pair of clean socks!

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Music Man built amps from 1972 until 1982. According to Forrest White, who was a partner, they were designed by Tom Walker, not Leo Fender as some have reported (Fender designed - and built - the MM axes). Ernie Ball bought MM in '84 or so, but continued only the basses & g**t*rs, not the amps. There used to be schematics posted at EB's website. More is available at http://www.musicmanamps.com/ (still mostly under construction, but useful). The earlier amps had a 12AX7 in the pre for phase inversion, but this was eliminated in the later models. They came in reverb (what I have) and non-reverb flavors. I don't know that the non-reverb had anything special done to it for bass. I have an early HD-130 (with the preamp tube) which I sometimes use with a 2X12 git cab and currently with a Hartke 410XL for bass. This one has 4 X EL34 tubes in the power section...I don't know how you'd ever overdrive the power tubes with the SS pre, but maybe that's just my old age speaking. For me the tone's the thing: through the Hartke, bass has real personality. It has a real '70's country-rock kind of sound with guitar, but, hell, that's what it was used for, back in the day.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ask, and ye shall receive! Thanks for the info!

Tom.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    :spit:

15. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Have you played with it much more?

I remember there being quite a difference in tone between the two power settings, and not that huge of a difference in SPL.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, there's a huge difference in tone, but the difference in SPL is almost nil. :eyebrow:

17. did you steal some of your cables from guitar center?

-todd

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Shh!!! :bag: :oops: