1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My music teacher and school is awesome

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by solarfly, May 11, 2017.

1. solarfly

solarfly Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2016
    So I've been going to Bradley School of Music in Lafayette, CA for some time now. Many of the teachers are Berklee graduates and fantastic, but in particular my teacher has this amazing gift for figuring out what each student needs at particular times.

I had shoulder labrum surgery about 4 weeks ago, I'm still in a sling. I can't stop myself from wanting to pickup my bass, but I can't rotate my arm further than about the 10th fret. So I've been doing a lot of music theory instead. But in my lesson last night, he said they all got together and found a song that I could play entirely at the 10th fret and up, without too much movement! Lots of room for improv, and my right hand technique working on muted thumbing and deadnotes. Check this out!

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)

Music for when you can't reach below your 9th :)

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    mmmm sweet groove

3. solarfly

solarfly Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2016
    It blows my mind how difficult it is to get the smoothness of James Jameson. He was drunk much of the time, apparently recorded "What's Going On" so wasted that he was lying on the floor with the bass on his chest when he finally got that perfect take. Blows me away, I can't effectively drink more than 2 beers while playing live if I want to sound okay. He recorded a significant number of bass lines for the most popular Motown hits in his time. Definitely worth studying that era!

4. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Inner City Blues was Bob Babbitt though. There are 2 reasons I know that:

1) Bass Player Magazine did a transcription/interview with Babbitt where he talks about recording high and low bass parts.

And

2) Jamerson rarely moved out of first position.

C/S,
    Rev J

solarfly and eJake like this.
  5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    This is so off topic but Joe Dart from Vulfpeck has done some killer Jamerson transcriptions.

ErikP.Bass and solarfly like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021