Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My musical contact with the forces of Darkness

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://www.myspace.com/adeadmanslament

New song called "Theme"... it's very dark and avante guarde... metal...ish... so I put it under this account.

The thing thats freaking me out, I had about 28 tracks of live percussion (literally) with crazy synths/wahs/flanges/choruses/panning effects/etc, keys, and bass... that's it... but I hear voices... weird voices... creepy voices. (During the section where the fake distorted bass/snare come in... especially near the end)

It's a long song... and for that, I apologize... but I haven't made a song in a long time. So... yeah.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also: I'm hoping this works... I'm at the library, and it doesn't have Java so I can't check... I uploaded the song last night at home and went to bed. (It's 9 minute song on a 56k, mee sleeeepy)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When you said, "I can't seem to find the music"... I thought that was your critque. :D Quite accurate.

I don't know, when you open the webpage, a player should open right next to my photo and right above the "Latest Blog Entry." It's a player built into the site... do you have java? Because I think it's java.

I wouldn't really worry about listening to it though. It sounded cooler last night, it's kind of lame actually. It's still creepy, due to the weird voices of the damned and everything, but it's very boring for the most part.

4. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I dig it. Release an album of it so I can buy it already!

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks Deadworks. :) My "album" has been ready for a while, I'm just lazy I guess. I don't have the money to release anything. My stuff would do pretty good around here (artsy school... they like noisey weird crap. :D ) But I don't want to charge money for it really. But I don't have enough money to make artwork or anything.

I'm very unmotivated... between working all summer (Summertime Blues is my jam right now) and trying to get a Groove/Stoner rock band going (which is going alright thus far) I just have no motivation to do anything. Thanks for the listen.

Adam: Do you see a white box? Because that happens to me sometimes. It's the damnedest thing, sometimes I can get music to play and some accounts I just see a white box where the player should be. I don't know... it's a drag.

6. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Well matt if you ever "release" something AKA burn something onto a cd I'l take a copy.

Do you record in a home studio or go to someone to be recorded? The sound is pretty good.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Home studio. Most of my recordings are "practice" on production. The concepts of production. That's why I've got 28 tracks of percussion. I wanted to make it just sound like one huge weird moving drum track. I like to make a lot of things sound like... not a lot of things. But sometimes I like to make a couple things sound like a lot of things... yeah.

I'm actually considering looking into production as a future, if not a main gig, at least a side job.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well I heard it. It rambles alot and there is no singalong chorus.

But it gets pretty good when the phased out bass comes in.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

That's what I thought after I listened to it the morning after I uploaded it. I was thinking... "It needs to be drawn out and spacey! Yeah, that's artsy as hell!"

I think I'd like it if I compressed it to a 3 minute song. Plus the heavily effect bass is too... floaty. It doesn't blend as well with the keys as I'd like, at the begining it was just delayed/lightly wahed, by the end of the bass snare part, it had two kinds of distortion, an octave, a synth, chorus... it got pretty nutty. I think it's one of the reasons for the voices I'm hearing. But I do like the phased bass as well, it's a cool tone I'm going to have to use again somehow.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I use a thick phase with overdrive for a song me and buddy play and I have to be careful with it as it is easy to get lost in the mix.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I notice the mids tend to disappear pretty quick when I throw this on. The phased bassline is actually pretty loud in the mix, in a band/live setting, I could see me getting lost pretty quick. :meh: To be used within reason.

12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    You can do this?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

If you listened to my song... the answer is obviously "no" ;)