My musical experience with Fat Albert/Dubya

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA - The song "Sorta"

New tune, this one is a little bit more sane/organized, and I cut some of the fat (it had an exteneded jam that I didn't like). I actually wrote this one about a half a year ago and still like it! So it must be OK, and this one is only 4 minutes, with the new edit. Very spacious, no drums, lots of keys.

I actually really am pleased with how the bassline turned out, I wanted the line to be fretless, but no dice, so I cranked some chorus, and picked near the bridge pretty hard. And it actually sounds better than I had envisioned. Probably the only thing I've ever written that has a Jaco tinge to it... the bassline at least.

I also added a Dubya quote (and a subliminal message) but don't worry, it's not political... just funny/rhythmic. Also, I threw some "scratching" in. The album I used "Fat Albert's Halloween Special" to make it extra spooooooooooooooKy.

You gotta give me points for creativity.

Extra 10 points to whoever can figure out what the subliminal message is (backwards message).
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey and while your at it, if you want to tell me what you think of "Everybody Twist" that's pretty new, industrial metal... sort of. It's more laid back than like Ministry or something. A really cool bassline... that I programmed. :(

Any other comments on the other stuff would be appreciated to. :)
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You're just waiting for somebody to reply: "I really liked the Cat's Ass," aren't you?
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I guess, it is my "hit" if that means anything. I just love that term, and I find myself using that all the time.

Oh man, that riff is the cat's ass... it's a very strange term indeed.
  5. It would be best if you stay'd away from my cat's ass..............
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Everybody twist was pretty cool. Could use some more "typical" industrial drumming me thinks. And maybe some white noise ala NIN.

Sorta, now that I dug, well sorta. "The" tone was great. The lack of drums led it to meander a little, but the keys really moved the song pretty well and the changes kept it interesting. A good drum beat would set the track off though. Reminds me of an An Albatross song minus the insanity, fast tempo, and dissonance. So I guess it really doesn't remind me of an An Albatross song. :confused:

The Cat's Ass, pretty cool all in all. That term has also been officially stolen.

E Kaf, I liked this the most. I would buy an album of music like this.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I haven't been at Talkbass in like three days, it's blown my mind.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews Abark, if I had a band shirt/cd/stickers/hats/beanies/beanie babies, I'd send you one for listening.

Everybody Twist/Sorta: Yeah, I think these both will have added elements when I get my midi keyboard setup. A lot of my "insanity" is restrained due to the fact that I have to program a lot of the stuff I do. I suck at programming. I want samples and I want to play them live! So yeah, I might even be able to add some free sounding drums to that, with a bit more solid rhythmic feel. And I'm new to Industrial, so that may or may not improve.

Cat's Ass. I don't know where I first heard that... I might have made it up. I find it much slyer that "The Cat's Pajamas" which is alright, but, "Hey, I heard the new Beck album, 'tis the Cat's Ass methinks."

E kaf: Fake backwards, since my songs don't have lyrics for the most part, my names are often lame. I really actually dig this song a lot too, and I can't say there are a lot of my songs I like a lot, but this is one fo sho. No programmed drums or anything, I did some live hand drums/knee slaps and ran them throught my Digitech Synth Wah. And I did a lot of weird vocal effects through synths too. All the weird non bass/percussion stuff is voice.