1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My musical journey/first band audition tomorrow

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Oct 12, 2013.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    My Wife went back to college 2 years ago. Figuring I now had lots of free time on my hands (no kids), I picked up the Bass as my very first instrument at age 42, along with some 'how-to' books' (a BIG Thank You to Ed Friedland!) At first the idea was to learn to read a little bass clef, and maybe play along to songs I like at home.

After a few months of that, I got my first instructor. About a year later I switched teachers and upgraded from a cheap Yamaha to a really nice Spector. Stepped up from a practice amp to a 1x15" 200w so I could jam proper with a few friends who play guitar.

A few months ago I started combing Craigslist for a band situation. I finally came across an open bassist slot with a band who's sound I dig, and their music isn't terribly complicated. I'm not sure my chops are yet up to par to play the role that their looking for, but I set up an audition for tomorrow with them anyway. I will be the last one to audition with them over the weekend, so I should know immediately after whether I'm one of the candidates that they'll consider.

They eMailed me a new demo song that has no bass, so I know what I need to do there. They also have 3 older songs posted on ReverbNation with bass. I'm in process of learning them all as is before tomorrow ... like I said, not too complicated. (http://www.reverbnation.com/fernandosbones?mobile_redirection=disabled)

Am I nervous? HELLS YEA!!! I'd be very surprised if nobody better than me shows up to audition, but I'm going in with the idea of at least having fun and making some new musical contacts around town.

I just want to thank the TalkBass mods and registerees for all the great useful information that I've gleaned so far here in the past two years (even though TB somewhat cuts into my practice time on a daily basis :p )

Any last minute advice from veterans to someone who has never played in a band setting (particularly with a drummer)?? I know that personality goes a long way in a band setting ... flexibility, reliability, etc - so I'll be on my best behavior :D Any other useful tips?

2. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    no big pro myself but I have played in a ton of different bands in various capacities over the years so here goes
    1) use both ears, one on the mix with vox and guitars, other on the drummer
    2) use that second ear to aid in locking with the drummer
    3) dont get yourself too hyped up over the audition, you would be surprised what a person can talk themselves into
    4) be confident, let your actions show you have learned and practiced the material they sent you
    5) Be amiable , we have had a TON of auditions for guitar players and singers over the last few years and nothing has turned us off more than some jerk that wants to come in and change our world in one foul swoop
    6) stay away from too many beers or smokey treats, its ok to have a beer or two while practicing but in a jam its too easy to fall into the trap of over doing it
    7) set your gear up and tune quickly , shows you deserve to be there and are ready to go
    8) have fun with it , mistakes will happen (does to us all, a lot of the time) dont dwell on it , recover and move on
    9) handle rejection well , you may not be a fit and get told they decided to go with another guy or girl who is a better fit , chemistry is important. Dont let it get you down or discourage you, you are a bass player , a far rarer breed than drummer or guitar, the right situation will present its self , sometimes in multiple projects

3. Yes, TIP: since you’re a new bass player, I highly recommend that you continue auditioning with/for as many bands as you can. Even if you get this gig or even the next one, continue answering and auditioning with as many people as you can.

And good luck with tomorrows audition.

4. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

Aug 25, 2013
    Seattle
    That's awesome. I'm 36, started when I was 34 with no previous musical experience.

Play/jam/audition with as many different people as possible, even if you are worried you are not ready.

This may put you out there for more rejection, but I've found that has really helped me more than anything.

Attitude is huge, even if you mess up (you will, everybody does)...act like you meant it.

Play open mics to get comfortable being on stage, playing live in front of people.

I had my largest gig so far last night in a medium size venue. Still get nervous a bit before going on..every time. Even more so for auditions.

Lead didn't follow setlist last night. I totally blanked out for a sec. Stop...deep breath...sit out a measure or two...jump back in and rock it. Non musicians don't even notice most mistakes.

I'm no pro, consider myself to be decent, at least functional.
    Have fun, relax, enjoy the ride...I know I am.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You may want to check out the part of my TB Wiki page that deals with many aspects of Auditioning, Joining and Being in a Band.

Also check out the TB sticky: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/if-only-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-429034/

Is this an originals band? Seems to me that since the band sent you songs w/o the bass, they may be expecting you to create your own bass parts instead of learning the bass parts from their previous recordings.

I suggest that after you learn the songs from the previous recordings, work in some of your own lines.

Good luck!:)

6. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Let us know how it goes! Good luck, bro.

7. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    1. Show up
    2. Know your parts
    3. Don't be an @hole

If this audition doesn't work, rinse and repeat the above. Eventually you'll stick with a band. Word spreads. You'll get better offers.

8. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Bring ear plugs. Some bands practice LOUD!

9. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks for all your helpful replies. I really felt like I brought the whole TB community to the audition with me, since I've learned so much here this past year :cool:

It went really REALLY well! ...better than I had expected it would. I showed up a few minutes before the agreed time, brought ear plugs just in case, knew my parts, and wasn't an A*hole. I played the songs with pre-written bass parts as-is, and then changed them up slightly on the second run throughs. I made sure they knew that I'm really flexible and can can take criticisms, and also that I'm dependable when I commit to something that involves other peoples time. They were pretty wow'ed with the fact that I've only been playing for two years ... which made me happy to hear :smug:

I guess the deciding factor will depend on what quality the other applicants brought to the room ... and they did get quite a few responses from their ad. I'll post the results here either way when I hear back. Thanks again for all your advices.

Louis

10. thats a cute band and a good startup for you to get into. keep applying for bands and remember that you chose them, not just them chosing you.

If you know a drummer and or guitarist, try and set up some jam sessions, bands can also grow out of that

11. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    They're sending me a few more tracks this week, and we'll meet back there next Sunday for a full on rehearsal. They said "You were the best of the bassists we played with this weekend." (Which makes me wonder about some of the other doozees that must've shown up! :D )

12. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Congrats! This is awesome! :bassist:

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    One thing you might consider bringing up if the make you an offer to be in the band is to discuss being a full member or are you just the "new guy" and won't have any say in anything?

Also, discuss the gig money split, band funds (and how you won't be participating in one :) ), who gets the gigs, is there a BL or is it a democracy and do you get a full vote...business stuff like that.

Just curious, do you know why the previous bass player left?

Good luck.

14. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Stumbo, I'll have to hash out those details with them soon. I'm pretty sure (as far as I can tell) they're pretty easygoing and more democratic than anything. They seemed open to new musical ideas at the audition. I believe the gal who was playing bass and doing half of the singing is no longer able to commit to practices or something, as they're also auditioning a second singer at present ... bummer cuz she has pretty amazing pipes :meh:. Since this is my first band situation, I'll keep the progress posted to this thread.

Thanks to TB and the info I've learned here about the many possible band pitfalls, I feel like there's a lot of potential situations that I'll be able to avoid have happen firsthand. I'm stoked :hyper:

15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You don't have to be good, just better than everyone else. :D

Good bass players are their own harshest critics. Bad bass players all think they rock.

Congrats.

16. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    This ↑

17. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    lfmn16 - I may sig that at some point if you don't have any objections. There are a TON of great bassists and other musicians in this area, is why I'm so surprised that they said I was the best.

They sent me five more tracks to learn for next week ... some with bass and some without. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed total creative input with their stuff already, so I think this is gonna be a good situation for me.

18. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    Glad ya found a sitch that worked for you.:hyper:

19. Congrats!

You were prepared, on time, not an a*hole...you'd be surprised how many people showing up for auditions can't say all three (or any) of those things.

That goes a long way. Clearly, you've also pursued this with some conviction, so you're obviously good enough.

Being a newer player, but committed, is probably a good thing in an original music setting for the freshness it brings. I don't imagine that leads to a lot of overplaying.

20. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    totally happy for you man, keep us updated on things.
    i love it here too