Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Musical Scales Program

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Apr 29, 2005.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    OK, I've done some serious updates to my program, enough that I'm calling it version 1.0. :D I've been working on this update for a couple months and I'm feeling really good about my latest progress.

Here's the latest screenshot:

[​IMG]

Major updates include:

Generate scales, chords and modes for Major, Melodic minor and Harmonic minor scale types.

Generate scale based on chord starting note and chord type.

Playback scales as well as chords.

Ability to choose playback instrument.

I've tested this program in 10.3.9 and 10.4.0. It should work in 10.2.8 aka Jaguar. If anyone here could confirm that would be most excellent.

Oh, before I forget, here's the link to the program page. The download link is at the bottom of the page. http://dtibs.home.comcast.net

The source code for this program is included in the .dmg file in case anyone's interested in checking it out.

Are people still interested in this program? I'm debating whether to continue development and what direction to go next. I'm thinking about adding music sheet display of selected scales/chords next. Any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    this is VERY cool. i just downloaded it and played with it.

the red button to close the app wasnt working for me though, i had to Quit using the dock icon. i am using a Mac Mini with 10.3.9 if that helps.

i for one would be interested in further updates with this. the Instrument selection is a great touch also. keep up the great work. you get one "Atta boy!" :)

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    :D Thanks DougP

I disabled the red button way back in version 0.2 because people were closing the window then they weren't able to get it back. I figured the easiest solution was to disable the red button. You can select Quit from the Musical Scales menu, use the dock (like you did) or just hit Apple-Q to quit the program.

4. too bad you don't have one for the PC. :crying:

5. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    +1 :crying:

6. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    But you PC guys have tons more programs that run on Windows. At least that's what I always hear. ;)

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    bump since this was moved into a different forum. :)

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Just installed it. Very cool! :)

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    1.0 doesn't work on my Blue and White G3 running Jaguar. Version .7 works great though. Be sure to keep the old ones around for those of us lagging behind.

10. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Do you still have the .dmg file for version .7? I should have it somewhere but I can't guarantee I still do (I know I still have v0.6). If you could, PM me if you still do so I can get .7 from you via email.

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've updated my program and am calling it version 1.1. I've spent the last couple of months hunting down and destroying memory leaks, so the code is more solid.

I've also added a tempo control so you can adjust BPM from 1 to 360. The program link is in my signature.

Here's a v1.1 screenshot. Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

12. Now THAT is really, really cool!

I will be sure to download that on my Powerbook!

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Please do. :) This is my contribution to the music making community that helped me learn these scales/modes/chords in the first place. :)

14. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Any plans to make it windows friendly? :hyper:

15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That would be tough, considering I have no access to a PC. If you wanna buy me a PC and a Visual Studio license (which would cost more then many middle of the road PCs) then I'll code it for you. :)

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Hey WillPlay! This is a cool little app!! Thanks a lot! Good idea!

Guess all you Windows guys will have to make the switch to Apple!

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Great program!

Kudos!