Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My name is Matt Till, and I'm an alcoholic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    By the rules, I am an alcoholic. This is hard for me to admit... I didn't drink at all this time last year, now I'm an alcoholic. I haven't gone into any AA meetings or anything yet, I guess the first step is admitting it.

The rule that I broke of being an alcoholic, I drink alone (yeah... with nobody else). Sure I only drink once a month.. if that... but the fact that I drink alone is a sure sign that I'm an alcoholic. Sure I've only been "drunk" once (aka beyond buzzed... and that was in a social setting), but... I broke a rule indicating my alcoholic status.

Seriously now, what's the deal with this? I have friends that drink 6 days a week, sometimes more... rarely less... but they do it at a bar/social setting. I hate drinking being a big deal, why is drinking alone considered a big deal? I also hate the local bar (college town) you gotta crowd surf to make it to the bar. Same goes for this place we gig at a lot, I only drank their once and I didn't go back for seconds.

Any closet alcoholics out there? Not seriously, because alcoholism is a serious disease and I don't mean to make light of it... I just mean, drinking alone is awesome/relaxing instead of a big event.

ATTENTION EVERYONE: I AM NOT REALLY AN ALCOHOLIC, I WAS BEING SARCASTIC! IF YOU READ MY POST IT STATES, "Sure I only drink once a month.. if that... " and "Sure I've only been "drunk" once (aka beyond buzzed... and that was in a social setting)" SO I FIGURED IT WAS CLEAR I WAS BEING SARCASTIC... OBVIOUSLY IT DIDN'T WORK. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION: THIS THREAD WAS JUST ABOUT HOW I HATE BARS/DRINKING SOCIALLY!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Matt, to me at least, your awareness and behavior would indicate you ARE NOT an alcoholic.

3. drinking alone makes you an alcoholic?
    i don't think so...
    from what my health professor told us last week, an alcoholic is someone who is dependent on alcohol, similar to a smoker who really needs a cigarette.
    so if you find yourself alone really craving that bottle of jack on your counter, and you are just miserable without it, you might be an alcoholic.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I drink a bottle of red wine occasionally when playing bass, but unless you do it on a daily basis...

Once a month is not a sign of addiction.

5. I'm below the legal age, so I don't drink.

:ninja:

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Don't pay attention to those 10 point tests, according to them everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. If your life gets out of control over it, talk to someone.

7. I don't quite see that as alcoholic, I drink a glass of wine or a bottle of beer nearly everyday, just when I'm rounding up things I had to do for college that day, but you know, one bottle of beer or a glass of wine isn't quite serious.

It would be if it was a bottle of wine a day of course, or bottles of beer

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I drink seldom and socially, never too much. But I cracked a beer while writing a paper once. Does that make me one too?

9. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think I know what Matt it saying here.

Some people/groups make a huge deal about drinking. Even going as far as making specific rules about what makes you an alcoholic.

For instance, I had to attend a substance abuse class during college because my dorm RA saw an empty beer bottle on the desk in my dorm room. During the class I was told that if I have more than 2 drinks per day, that I am an alcoholic. No if's, and's, or but's about it. BAM! You are an Alcoholic!

I think that it's all just BS so that people like my substance abuse class instructor can have jobs. Convince everyone that they need help, then $ell them the help.

That being said, alcoholism is a real problem for some people. But there is a difference between being dependant on alcohol and being a regular drinker. It is just too bad that some people have been programmed by the BS, and look down on people who enjoy a drink as if they were criminals.

By definition on National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism's web site:

Alcoholism, also known as alcohol dependence, is a disease that includes the following four symptoms:

Craving--A strong need, or urge, to drink.
    Loss of control--Not being able to stop drinking once drinking has begun.
    Physical dependence--Withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety after stopping drinking.
    Tolerance--The need to drink greater amounts of alcohol to get "high."

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think you are OK for now Matt. I used to play 6 nights a week in the 80's and drank every night. On my nights off I would celebrate a night off by drinking. If we were playing a gig that was lame I would drink to get through it. If we were playing a cool gig I would get trashed because I was having fun.
    We would play a couple of places that wouldn't serve the band drinks. I would go out to my car and do a shot of 151 and down a tall boy on each of my 20 minute breaks.
    I quit drinking when my son turned a year old. He was all the motivation I needed. I felt like he deserved a better father than I was being. I never started back up because it's like being on a winning streak. One drink and my streak is over. I have been sober for almost 15 years.
    You say you drink alone but is it because you have to, or do you just happen to want to get a buzz and it just so happens that no one else is around. Do you feel like you could easily do without drinking?

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nor do I.... but still this dang song is stuck in my head :mad:

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Matt...

We're the same age. That may or may not mean anything, but I think we can share some similar points of view because of that.

If you feel you have a problem you should do what you are able to do to put an end to it.

My experience was far closer to what most would consider a problem.

It was almost all of this year...until fall.

For a very large portion of 2005, I was intoxicated.

I drank heavily...by some peoples terms.

Most every evening I would have 6 beers. That would put me to a good state of drunken, but functional-ness.

And I mean most every evening. I recall a few occasions where I would tell people that I had not drank in two....TWO DAYS and it would be surprising for me..and to them after they realised how much I was drinking.

It was also not common for me to drink with other people. Sure, it was nice when I did, I prefered drinking with a friend or two, but far more often than not it was just me.

I often would grab a couple of beers(I usually take two at a time because I drink fast by nature) turn on some Pink Floyd, turn off the lights and start smoking and drinking.

It's rather sad looking back...but I didn't have anything better to do.

Did I drink a lot? Yes

Do I think I had a problem? that's debatable.

I don't feel that I had a problem. I found myself having more things to do, and so I found myself drinking less.

By the amounts I had over the length of time, it would surely be considered a problem by most. I had no problem getting past it though.

It also helps that I don't get hang-overs from beer, so I basically got a free ride in that since...I could wake up clear headed and go to work the next day.

Basically, if you feel you have a problem, what makes you feel that you do? What can you do to stop the problem or stop the feeling of there being a problem?

sorry for the length of this...

13. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Drinking alone is fine with me, sometimes there's nothing better than kicking back after a long day at work with a nice cold beer, a glass of wine or a Whiskey/Coke. I personally am not too crazy about the whole bar scene myself. Waiting in line and paying for a watered down version of what I consider to be a real drink, then coming home smelling like an ashtray and caughing my lungs out...no thanks.

By all means if you think you have a serious problem you should do something about it man. You said you drink once a month...so does this make you an alcoholic just because you are by yourself when you do it? well I guess I am an alcoholic too...

14. don't worry , you're not an alcoholic. by your rules i would have been an alcoholic since i've been 16 :)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Meh.

I'm a smoker.

I go through Djarum blacks like crap through a goose.

16. Sometimes in the summer I'll come home Friday and have a beer while I sit out on the deck. No one else is home.

What you're describing is not alcoholism. I would say that there has to be some sort of context to drinking alone in order for it to qualify as a symptom of alcoholism. For instance, getting drunk by yourself several times a week, or drinking by yourself to the point that you pass out... those could be symptoms of alcoholism. If I exhibit one symptom of a cold it doesn't mean I have one... I could have just inhaled some water I was drinking.

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why must we have something in common!!! :bawl: :bawl:

j/k I'll send you a link to a good importer later this evening (it's saved on my home computer)

Djarum Black's (or any flavor) are almost $6 here... I can get them for $2

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Drinking alone does not equal alcoholism. Really, neither does frequency. It's the dependence, and the feeling of needing to drink that makes one an alcoholic.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's partially true, you can drink every day and not be an alcoholic,and you can drink seldom and be one. If you drink every day,and it's not disrupting your life and you don't constantly over do it. I'd say your OK. If you drink seldomly,but have a personality change, Black out or due it to excess every time. You shouldn't drink.
    PM me If you doubt my credentials. The forum is not the place.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Matt

Have you recently seen the South Park Episode on "AA"