My Name Is Mudd

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Artist--Primus
    Album--Pork Soda

I'm having trouble figuring out what Les is doing when he sings. He plays a different line then he does in the rest of the song and I can't figure it out.
    I've seen him play it, he does something with his right-hand thumb slapping the B-string, but way down the neck near the seventh fret. It's mostly muted notes and it sounds like blippety-blippety-bloop....blippety-blippety-bloop.
    If anyone can explain that part or give me an accurate tab, I'll give you a cookie.
  2. i know what you're talking about. It sounds like he is just muting it, but i don't know why he slaps so far up on the neck for that part.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It's just muted i'm sure. He hits it above the fretboard for more of a thump i'd say..
  4. Yeah but does anyone know exactly what pattern he's playing? I've messed with it as best I could but I can't get it to sound right.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I thought it was slaps and pops with left-hand hammer ons in sixtuplet patters.
    Like this: pop, left hand hammer on, slap, pop, left hand hammer on, slap, repeat four times a bar.

The "popped" notes are D and sometimes F#, the "slapped" and "hammered" notes are always low Ds.
    I don't know how to tab this, I'm afraid.
  6. ^I use that triplet technique all the time, but I never thought to try it on this song. Unfortunately, I don't have a 5-string at the moment. Me and a friend traded, I let him borrow my fretless and I borrowed his 5. He just asked for it back yesterday so he could record something with his band. I'll get it back tonight or tomorrow and try this out.
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Here's the way he does it. Bear with me as it will be hard to explain over the internets.

Over the fretboard (around the 14th fret,) with your right hand, hit the strings twice really fast (bounce) with your thumb, then to play the 3rd note of the triplet, hit your left hand down on the third fret on the B-string (don't make a pitch.)

I'll try to find the Woodstock version. It really isn't too hard. :smug:
  8. ^Sounds simple enough. As soon as I have a B string again, I'll try it.
  9. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    yeah there's no pops that i've seen in the whole song (watched more than a couple videos). Usually its two quick slaps with the right hand followed by a left hand slap. All of which are muted.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Here's a pretty decent shot of what i'm talking about.

EDIT: Crap, it's small. If you want a larger version, just tell me.
  11. That's cool guys, thanks. I think I figured out what he's doing on my own. Even if it's not exactly what he's doing, it sounds cool as hell. I'm playing it on a 4 string, but it still sounds exactly like it if I turn the low-end up.
    Here's how I do it:
    Mute the E string with the pinky-side of your right (picking) hand. Thumb-slap the E string, hammer/slap the 3rd fret with your left hand, pull off the 3rd fret HARD so it produces a percussive thump sound, then slap the all the strings (still muted) with your right hand. Repeat this technique really fast.
    Here's a quick tab for my way of doing it. Remember to keep the whole thing muted.
    Repeat that really fast for a kickass triplet sound, even if you're not playing this song it's really fun to do.
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, it's pretty much like that but he doesn't do pulloffs, but yeah as long as it works for you! It really is a fun technique!
  13. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Yep, Phxl and petary are right.

There are no notes during the verses of the song. There's no real pulling off or hammering, it's just palm mutes and a wicked fast thumb. There are hammer ons/pull offs during the chorus, however, since there are notes during that part of the song. For the verse, he mutes all the strings with his left hand and his right forearmish area. He plays it on the Rainbow Bass (fretless 6) live, so he doesn't get the "click" you would get if you did it on a fretted bass. You can play the verse on a 4-string I suppose, just on the E and A since they're both muted, but the chorus really needs the girth of the low B. Tabbed, it would look like this:

X = palm mute
    x = muted thumb slap

"My name is Mud!"
    Don't really strike the low D, just keep your left index anchored there; it will sound when you pull off from the hammer.

The same pattern is applied at various points in the song an octave higher, sometimes alternating between the two with a great slide transition. Here, it is played on the 10th fret of the E string (D).
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You mean 1h333 right?
  15. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    no, i mean DhE. as in:

16. Interesting. I'm gonna need a 5 string for this. The way I was doing it works for a 4-string, kinda, it sounds like it. But even on the recording it sounds like they're muted notes, he has such a low, fat, blurpy tone on that song it's hard to tell what's muted and what's not.
  17. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    The more videos I watch of Les, and i've seen quite a few, the more I'm convinced that the above tab is pretty on. It takes some practice, cos you're hitting two super fast notes with your right thumb, and it's easier to alternate between left and right for anything, but it can be done. just do it slowly at first, like always. palm-slap-slap-palm-slap-slap-palm-slap, palm-slap-slap-palm-slap-slap-palm-slap.

Good luck. :)