My name is stinsok, and I can't slap......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have never really embraced it. I don't dislike it and some people make it sound cool (in moderation.) Recently, I saw a Stanley Clarke tribute concert that featured alot of well known bassists. At the end there was a big jam and everyone was pulling, slapping and popping their tails off. Instead of a bass jam it sounded like a drum battle. None of the music we do (rock, blues, country) has any of that to speak of. Anyone feel lukewarm towards slapping like I do, or am I about to get pelted with rocks and garbage?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

It's a nice thing to have in your arsenal, but personally, I rarely use it at gigs. If you don't do it, it's rarely a dealbreaker; if you do do it, it frequently is, for the reasons you've stated.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tell slap to bugger off. Fingers or bust.
  4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

....pelted with rocks and garbage. Peace brother.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have never been asked to learn any or do any. About as wild as I get-"Dirty Low Down" by Boz Scaggs. BTW- does anyone have a copy of that "Jaco-B-Gone" pedal pic? That was a hoot!
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I can slap a little. I never practiced it enough to be great at it. I don't do it much when I gig. I throw a little bit in here and there tastefully. It gets the guitar player all excited. :D
    He's like man you got to give me more of that. I'm like :rollno: